𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐎𝐍𝐄

"Sabırlı ol, kız kardeşim." My ocean-eyed brother, Göktuğ tells me, his eyes glazed with tears I can never forget.
I shake my head, still in utter disbelief and shock over what'd happened. The three of us were orphaned. Then brought to the camp of the ruthless Mongols that tore apart our family.

Or well, Göktüğ and I were brought. Könur, our eldest brother, fought like a true warrior. I still remember the fresh, brutal scar on his face, bleeding mercilessly when he'd ridden on his brown-haired mare and left to call for aid.

And never came back.

-

Thirteen years had passed since then, and the only words that keep me calm in the hell where the Mongols had sold me as a source of entertainment for the Tekfur, are the same last words of Göktüğ Ağabey.

Last words. I say it like he's dead. Maybe he is. He's better off dead than a warrior for the Mongols, anyway.

I sighed as I slid the simple, beige dress and white waistcoat on my petite figure. Then, the gold bracelet with sapphire stones. The accursed bracelet that hid the one true mark of my heritage.

The half-moon scar.

The scar that all three of us shared.

"Afet, may I come in?" A too familiar voice boomed outside my door. Tekfur Sağuros. The boorish man who declares himself my father.

"Yes Papa." I said, straightening my shoulders.

"Afet, you are expected at the throne room, Eva and Ghislaine will dress you in your finest attire." He said, holding my shoulders in a supposedly consoling manner.

I shrugged them off and question him, "Why?" My golden brows furrowing.

"Sabırlı ol, kızım," he said, with an absolutely dreadful smirk.

A dead, hollow laugh escaped my mouth before I closed the door.

-

I grimaced to the throne room in a gown of fine purple silk, two bulky guards escorting me.

The burn of a thousand questions eat my skull as I glimpsed Angelos, Sağuros' eldest son standing in the sun soaked hall.  Beside him was Hera, looking as regal as always and Sağuros, all of them looking hesitant and anxious.

I dipped my head in a swift bow before my eyes swept over their faces. "What is the matter, Efendim?" I asked, but not before exchanging a glance of hello with Hera and Angelos.

Yes, I despised Sağuros. With all my heart. But his children are more than beloved to me. They always treated me equal and reminded me of my own siblings.
Even if nobody could replace them.

"The Harmankaya Tekfur Kosses and his sister Mari are coming tonight for an auspicious matter...they are going to ask for your hand." begins Sağuros.

Suddenly, I forget how to breathe. Hera and Angelos are trying to speak to me, shaking me violently, but everything is drowned out by those damned words.

"Afet!" Angelos yelled. "Come to your senses, do you not understand what an honor this is?"

I scoffed, "What honor, Angelos?" I spat his name out like a curse. Why did he not understand?
"Tell me, what bloody honor is there in marrying that beast?"

Sağuros's hand whirled upwards, his eyes shooting daggers. "WATCH YOUR WORDS, AFET!" he shouted.
"Kosses is a man of honor, all of Nicea and beyond knows of his love to his sister. There is no doubt he will treat you the same, like the gem you are." he continued, his voice dropping to a softer tone.

I ignored the urge to retch, how a man can tell so many lies without even a shred of guilt always disgusts me.

"You cannot drop a bomb like this and expect me to remain calm." I said at last, and before he could respond, I walked out of the room.