Chapter Nineteen: February 1st

Waking up on February 1st was a strange feeling. For so long, the date had been burning in the back of Quinn's mind, a constant source of anxiety—now that it had arrived, glaring up at them from their phone screen, all they felt was a helpless sort of resignation as it set in that they were truly not going to find a way to send Vincent over, not when there were less than twenty-four hours left.

In light of... well, everything, Valerie and Quinn had unanimously agreed to skip class that day. They were biding their time at the Sugar & Spice instead, Valerie practically vibrating out of her seat after three cups of coffee while Quinn half-heartedly sipped their hot chocolate.

"Today feels weird," Rhia announced as she plopped down next to Valerie on the worn-down couch. She was working, but there was a slight lull in patrons that allowed her to sit down for a moment. "Like there's an incoming thunderstorm, or something, and all that's left to do is wait until the thunder breaks."

Valerie hummed in agreement, offering Rhia a bite from her chocolate brownie before she said, "Last time it felt like this was on Samhain. Let's hope this time goes better, huh?"

Quinn knew she was trying to make them laugh, but they could barely muster a tired smile. "I don't think any of them are going to want to possess us. They've been here long enough."

"How are you feeling?" Rhia rested her chin in her hand as she studied Quinn from across the table. "Are you nervous about the ritual?"

"A bit," Quinn admitted. "I've never even said a proper spell. I don't want to mess it up."

"You'll do great," Valerie reassured them. "And we'll all be there. You won't be alone."

The fact that all the Greenbrooks were going to help was at least somewhat of a comfort. The ritual had been written by a witch from their family, after all. It also felt very much like the way they practiced; from what Quinn had gathered, it had to do with cleansing herbs and setting intentions and meditating while channeling the deceased's energy through their artifacts. None of them were things that Quinn was familiar with or would have intuitively been drawn to, but it had sounded easy enough on paper.

"Will Luis be there as well?" Rhia asked.

"Probably. If—if that's okay with your family, I mean. I know they're very secretive about the whole thing, so—"

"Oh, please. He already dug up a grave with us. I think he's earned our trust." Rhia's earrings—today, they were tiny snails—swung as she laughed. "And besides, this is your ritual. We'll be there for support and guidance, not to supervise or dictate."

Quinn's smile came a little bit easier this time. "Thank God. I don't think I could have kept him from coming even if I—"

They were interrupted by the buzzing of their phone, jarringly loud against the wooden tabletop. Quinn turned it over, expecting the caller to be their mom; that year, February 1st was also the beginning of the Lunar New Year, and while their mom didn't pay much mind to most Chinese holidays, she usually remembered that one.

Instead, they found an unknown number flashing on the screen. With a sudden hunch and a desperate hope they were right, Quinn shot to their feet and rushed outside, ignoring Valerie's confused noise.

"Hello?" they panted into their phone as soon as the door fell shut behind them, muffling the chatter and noise of the café.

"Hello," a soft, faintly accented voice sounded from the other end of the line. "Am I speaking to Quinn?"

Clutching the phone in a white-knuckled grip, Quinn leaned back against the wall for support. "Yeah. Grandma, is that you?"

"Yes. I got your call."