Chapter 2 - Do You See The Same as Me?

Kara had just left a meeting with her editor at Catco when she picked up the phone and dialed Lena's number. She knew her friend was an early riser, and since she had promised Sam that she would go to L-Corp, Kara figured she would have no problem calling early in the morning, but decided to wait a few hours.

Lena really was up early. She got up, took a shower, chose her clothes. She spent several minutes in front of the mirror and then again several more minutes in front of the door thinking about what it would be like to return to normal life after all that. Even her driver was surprised when she got in the car and asked him to go to L-Corp, as she had done before what happened to her family. It was a dysfunctional family, everyone knew, but still, her family.

Lena got to the office before Sam. Everyone looked at her with some sadness in their eyes, but they tried to show enthusiasm for the return of the company's CEO. In order to get away from pitying eyes, she went into her office and sat on her huge white sofa, staring at the weather outside. It felt like it was in another life that she had entered that room for the last time. Sam entered a short time later.

"May I know why you're sitting on this couch like it's a visitor? This room is yours, Lena."

"Good morning to you too" Lena smiled at her friend. "You're currently in the presidency, so you're the one sitting at the big chair. Come on, I'm ready when you are."

Sam sat down and opened her laptop to start the day with Lena. She began to report everything that had happened since the day of the accident, the reactions of the stock market, investors, the progress of research in all units. Projects that Sam warned didn't go very far, since it was Lena who was ahead of them all. She had some meetings scheduled for that day, but Lena thought it was too much for her on that first day of return, and asked Sam to continue with the good work she was doing. Lena asked to not go to any meetings, at least for that week, when she was returning. Sam readily agreed.

When Kara called, Lena was alone, sitting in front of several spreadsheets while Sam attended the first meeting of the day.

"Good morning! How are you feeling today? By the way, did I call at a good time? I don't know how things are out there. Can you talk now?" Kara asked.

"Good morning!" Lena said smiling, without realizing it. "It is a good time. I'm here with some spreadsheets, but nothing I can't take a break from. I promised I'd come back, and I came back, but I'll have to take it easy. It feels like I've been gone for 15 years, so many things to find out about. I don't know how Sam didn't go crazy."

"I'm glad you're feeling well. And you run a big company, wouldn't it be surprising you had a lot waiting for you. After all, if not you, who would run your company?"

Kara said that and regretted it instantly. She didn't want Lena to think that this referred to the fact that she was the only Luthor left, that she was the only one to run the company now. Not that it was any different before, but she didn't want to bring up painful memories for Lena.

"Oh, sorry... I didn't mean to say that, I'm such a fool..." Kara apologized.

"It's okay, Kara... you didn't do me any harm, believe me. Things go on as before, I was the one who took care of everything myself. Don't feel bad."

"I would like to see you later, have a cup of coffee, whenever it's a good time for you... I'd like to invite you for na event this weekend."

"Well, as I'm the boss, I can go out whenever I want." Lena said, trying to sound as relaxed as possible. "5 p.m., is it ok? I can meet you there at the cafe in Catco's building, what do you think?"