A Visit from Mrs. Hudson

John sat in his chair in the living room, staring at his computer screen. He was working on a new blog entry, or at least trying to work on it. He had started the blog the day he moved in to the flat. It started as a personal journal about cases he and Sherlock investigated. Sherlock always patronized him for his writing style because it was "too fluffy and didn't go straight for the facts." John didn't care, he liked writing every detail of each case.

Somehow, people had managed to find his page, and as the days passed, the reader count continued to grow steadily. About a month ago, some of the readers had suggested he tell them about living with the detective, and the daily going-ons at the flat. As of recently, some of the younger readers had been commenting that they "shipped" the two men (which John later learned it meant they advocated the two being a couple, which he always found kind of cute). However, he always assured the readers the two men were strictly platonic. But in his defense, he still wasn't sure if he was gay or not, so he wasn't really lying.

But now he knew for sure that he had romantic feelings for his flatmate, and he knew he needed to share with someone before he burst. He figured this post would be his way of, for a lack of a better term, "coming out."

As soon as he began typing, he heard footsteps on the stairs. He turned around and saw Mrs. Hudson making her way in to the flat.

"Hello, dear," she said cheerfully, carrying a tray of tea. "I thought you could use some company." John smiled and looked at the landlady. She was in her late 60's but she acted as though she was no more than 40. She kept her hair short and slightly curled, and she always seemed to have a cheery disposition on anything in life.  She was very motherly, and John loved having her around.

"I would love some company, thank you," he said, closing his laptop. Honestly, he was glad to have an excuse not to write at the moment. Mrs. Hudson set down the tray on the table beside John and looked around.

"Where's Sherlock?" she asked.

"He's, um...he's out," John said nodding slightly. "He had a case."

Mrs. Hudson looked at him quizically.

"He didn't ask you to come along?"

John looked up at her and smiled softly, shaking his head.

"He thought I would enjoy sleeping a little more today. He was right, I really needed it." Mrs. Hudson smiled and clasped her hands together.

"He always tries to do right by you," she says contently. "He is really bad with handling other people,  but for whatever reason he just seems to understand you. You seem to really make him happy." John grinned and picked up his cup of tea. He sipped it gently; it was still extremely hot.

Mrs. Hudson grabbed the desk chair and put it across from John. She picked up her tea and sat down in the seat. She took a sip and then set the cup in her lap.

"Was Sherlock playing violin again last night?" she asked. John smiled and stared in to his tea cup.

"Erm, yeah, he played a little," he said, chuckling. Mrs. Hudson smiled.

"I heard it through my ceiling. It was beautiful. I've never heard him play anything with such passion," she said with admiration. John smiled shyly and leaned back in his chair.

"Yeah, he uh, wrote the song...for me," he said.

"Really?" Mrs. Hudson asked with surprise.

"Heh, yea," John replied quietly. Mrs. Hudson smiled smugly and leaned back in her chair.

"What is that look for?" John asked, a crooked smile on his face.

"He told you, didn't he?" Mrs. Hudson asked, the smug smile still on her face.