3

when Bella's wedding day finally came, the two of us got ready at our house with Alice and some of Bella's friends from school. I didn't know much about them, but, apparently, they were pretty close. it took forever to get everyone in hair and makeup, especially with Alice stopping us every few minutes for another picture. my parents weren't allowed in to see Bella until she was fully ready.

when it was my turn for Alice to do my makeup, I sat in a chair in Bella's room in front of a vanity. Alice circled around me, fixing my bobby-pins, applying mascara, talking about how she couldn't wait for the ceremony. when she applied my eyeliner, her face was so close, and her lips hovered so near mine... i couldn't help but wonder if she knew about what happened between jasper and I or if she cared. sometimes, I wish she had the abilities jasper and Edward had, so I could telepathically communicate how I needed to see her in my room for a few minutes.

after all of the makeup, the pictures, the adoration and tears, our parents drove Bella and I to the Cullen's house. she really did look beautiful.

"are you ready?" I asked her quietly, sitting beside her in the back seat of our dads car.

she nodded and bit her lip nervously. "yeah, I'm really ready."

"are you sure, Bella?" my mom asked, peeking back from the front seat. "you're still so young... you'd tell us if you were pregnant, right?"

"mom," Bella said, eyes wide. "stop asking me that, I'm seriously not pregnant."

she shrugged and turned back to her original position. "okay, if you insist. you two will make me some beautiful grandchildren, though. he's such a handsome boy."

dad rolled his eyes and gave Bella a wink from the front seat. she looked awkward and it made me kind of sad.

when we got to the house, Bella was rushed inside so Edward wouldn't see her. i snuck away from everyone so I could sneak half a joint before the ceremony. how I could smoke so much weed without my dad, a fucking police officer, knowing, I couldn't understand. sometimes, I assumed he must have known and chose to leave it alone.

standing at the side of the house by the trees, I smoked, observing some finches hopping from branch to branch. I wondered if there were any animals that the Cullen's didn't kill all the way when hunting and if those animals stalked around the woods, vampiric and hungry for blood. maybe it was a human-only ailment. was it a disease? a virus? a bacteria? what the hell was that venom shit, anyway?

"wow," I heard a familiar voice say from behind me. "that dress looks amazing on you."

I turned and saw jasper looking unrealistically handsome in a suit and red tie paired with glossy, black Italian shoes. I looked down at my pale beige dress, twirling my hips so the tulle swayed. it came down to my knees, just long enough to cover the nasty scars, but short enough to keep from getting dirty.

"thanks," I said quietly, exhaling smoke. "you look really incredible."

he smiled and stood there, just looking at me for a moment. he shook his head, imitating awe. "that Jacob kid is real lucky to have a girl like you."

I wanted to say, "you could have me", but I didn't. I didn't mean it like that and I didn't want it to be taken the wrong way. I loved Jake. I love Jake.

"lucky to have me like a kid's lucky to get cancer," I joked cynically, off the cuff.

jasper immediately looked offended. "that's a terrible thing to say," he remarked with hurt in his eyes.

"oh, I'm sorry," I said, surprised at his reaction.

he stepped a little closer, still leaving some space between us. "you're an amazing person, even if you don't see it. I don't know how you can't."