14

Severus Snape sat back on the sofa and watched as the Potter brat carefully unwrapped each of the presents from his friends, that had somehow found their way into his quarters just in time for Christmas morning.

A hideous-looking knitted jumper from Molly Weasley, numerous bits of junk from the other Gryffindor boys, and a thick hardcover book from the Granger girl entitled 'Quidditch: A Lengthy History'. Too lengthy for his liking.

From Dumbledore, a huge box of Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Beans, which would no doubt have the child bouncing off the walls for the rest of the winter break.

Of course, he had felt he had no choice but to purchase a gift for the boy himself, though it was much more practical than the others, and likely paled in comparison to the numerous Zonko's products sent by the Weasley clan.

The small, neatly-wrapped gift was at the bottom of the pile and was the final one Potter picked up.

Harry examined the gift for a moment.

"It doesn't say who it's from," he stated.

"That... is... merely a small token," Severus said, stiffly.

The boy looked at him with huge eyes. "It's from you, sir?"

The potions master inclined his head and Harry unwrapped the present as carefully as he had the others.

Opening the wooden box inside, the child's mouth fell open into an 'o' shape as he looked at its contents: a gold-plated quill adorned with a beautiful peacock feather.

"Your penmanship has improved greatly over the last 3 months, and I believe you have therefore earnt it," Snape explained, feeling as though the boy might be wondering why he had been gifted a pen.

But Harry's eyes were filling up now.

What was wrong with the child? Was he disappointed with the gift? The ungrateful little–

"Sir... this is... it's beautiful," Harry told him, his voice barely above a whisper. "I don't think I deserve this."

"It is not down to the recipient to determine on whether they do or do not 'deserve' the gift, Potter. That is down to the gift's giver," Snape told him.

With that, Harry jumped up from where he had been sitting cross-legged on the floor, and threw himself at the professor, who let out a soft grunt as he was pushed further back into the sofa's cushions.

"Thank you, sir. It's the best present I've ever gotten," he whispered, sniffling.

Grimacing, Snape patted the child's back reassuringly. "Yes, alright, Potter, no need to turn into a blubbering wreck..."

"Oh! I almost forgot!" Harry cried suddenly, pushing himself back into an upright position.

Snape watched in confusion as the boy scurried off into his bedroom, wondering what on earth the rush was, and when on earth he had begun to think of it as Potter's bedroom.

Harry reappeared moments later, clutching something in his hand.

"It's... it's not much sir..." he began, handing the poorly wrapped object to the potions master. "But I didn't know what to get you... and Professor Dumbledore said... well, anyway... it's for you."

Unaccustomed to receiving gifts aside from the annual bottle of cheer from Albus, Snape unwrapped the item stiffly.

Inside, was a snow globe. Yet, instead of the usual winter scene at the back of the dome, a rather curious image presented itself.

At first, the image appeared to be one of a lion, crossing over from one side of a mountain to another using a bridge. But upon closer inspection, Snape realised, the bridge was in fact a snake – the magnificent serpent uncoiled to help the lion across to the other side.