20

Severus Snape was in a foul mood and there was only one reason for it: Harry Potter.

Not only had the brat had the nerve to skip his detention the previous evening, he had now seen it fit not to turn up to his class that morning.

Yes, that was exactly why he was so annoyed, Severus told himself. That was the reason why three first year students' potions had been poured away, the reason why another two had detention tomorrow, and why Neville Longbottom was crying at the back of the classroom.

It was not because Severus was frustrated with the current situation, or because he wasn't sure what on earth he had done to upset the boy so badly.

And it was most certainly not because he found himself actually missing the child's presence in his life.

In addition, he had stayed up fairly late the night before, and the fatigue was beginning to set in during his final pre-lunch lesson. Of course, he had been unable to sleep on account of how much the brat had angered him – Potter was, after all, the first child that had ever dared to swerve one of his detentions. It was definitely not concern for the boy that had kept him from sleep.

As the first years began to pack their things away – some of them breathing sighs of relief that the class was finally over – Snape looked up from his desk.

"Granger, Weasley – stay behind," he said.

As the classroom emptied, Hermione approached him, looking a little nervous. Weasley lurked behind her, hands in his pockets.

"Are we... in trouble, sir?" the girl asked.

The potions master arched a brow. "Should you be?"

Both children shook their heads furiously.

"Good. Answer my questions truthfully and it shall remain that way," Snape told them. "Mr Potter failed to present for his detention last night – would either of you care to explain why?"

Ron swallowed hard and Hermione opened her mouth, but nothing came out.

"Furthermore, as I am sure you have noticed, he did not attend today's class," he continued.

Silence.

Snape leaned down until his face was inches from theirs.

"Where. Is. He?" he asked, wondering if speaking to the two of them as though they were imbeciles was the only way to get results.

Ron scratched his head nervously. "I dunno. I don't think I saw him at breakfast, did you 'Mione?"

"No? How about in the dormitory that you no doubt share with him?" Snape asked, irritated.

Hermione sighed. "Sir, please. Harry's... he wasn't in class today because... he's..."

"Ye-es?" Snape drawled.

"He's in the infirmary," she said quickly.

"He's gonna kill you," Ron hissed.

"Doubtful," Snape told him. "The whole story please."

Hermione hesitated.

"W-well... what it is... you see..." Ron began.

"Let us start with the reason Mr Potter chose not to attend my detention last night," Snape said. "And since it appears that Weasley has lost the ability to string a sentence together, perhaps you would care to enlighten me, Miss Granger?"

"He was going to come, sir. Really, he was. But then... something happened and we needed to go and talk to Hagrid instead," she explained.

It was all Severus could do to contain his anger. So that impertinent little whelp had the cheek to conclude that visiting the half-wit caretaker was somehow more important than attending a detention assigned by a professor.