𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝕱𝖎𝖛𝖊

While the peregrine falcon flew back towards Warwick Castle, Ginny and Garreth joined Lord John for lunch.

"Where are your guests?" Garreth asked, surprised, as they followed Lord John into his library, where the lunch was served rather than in the Great Hall. The small table by the window was only laid for three.

"Out. In the village, talking to the peasants most likely. I've never met Uther's son before, but I must admit, I don't mind the idea of him becoming our future king," Lord John explained while they sat down. "He seems to care about the people a great lot."

Of course you don't mind. It's not you who has to marry him. Ginny thought, frowning into her stew-filled plate.

Garreth glanced at her upon hearing those words, wanting to remind her somehow not to give away who she really was. Even though his mother had agreed with this adventure, Lord John might not share her opinion and decide to inform King Leodegrance about his daughter's escapade.

Unable to catch her eye because of the servant who took ages to fill her glass standing in his view, he looked back at Lord John, who continued, "Despite his not precisely spotless reputation... "

"Prince Arthur likes drinking, gambling, and women, I've heard," Ginny said, her 'male voice', to Garreth's relief, unwavering. "If our princess agreed to marry him, it's only because King Gwynedd is said to be worse. Who in their right mind would want to marry someone like this, otherwise?"

"Oh yes, the responsibilities of the monarchs... " Lord John replied thoughtfully. "I'm glad that you won't have to marry anyone against your will, Garreth. I know Ealasaid well enough, she would never force you to spend your life with someone you don't choose yourself."

At least Garreth is lucky, Ginny mused, smiling at her beloved cousin, even as Lord John spoke again.

"But I'm telling you, boys, the prince looks nothing like his reputation suggests. He is kind and polite, concerned about his country. I believe that is the only reason why he agreed to marry our princess-- the welfare of his people. He doesn't look like someone who would want to settle down just yet if he doesn't have to."

"Really?" Ginny, feeling curious about Prince Arthur for the first time, prompted, when Lord John fell silent.

The man nodded, "Yes. He wants to go to Tintagel and try the enchanted Sword. I'm certain he is hoping that if he pulls it out of that stone, his father won't force him to marry Princess Guinevere. He would become the rightful ruler and unite our kingdoms even without the marriage..."

Ginny stared out of the window, her thoughts churning like the storm clouds beyond the glass. She didn't know if she should feel happy or offended. So the prince was hoping to pull the Sword and unite the realms without having to marry her... Well... It was fine with her, she decided. Even though it felt like a refusal on his side... Why did he not want to marry her? Many men had asked for her hand in marriage...

Stop it! She scolded herself, trying to banish her thoughts and follow the conversation. Taking a sip of her wine, she leaned closer to Garreth and studied the piece of parchment Lord John had passed him.

"Here's the list of all the places the prince wants to visit," the man said, while Ginny's eyes skipped from one inscription to another.
Londinium. The hot springs of Aquae Sulis. Stonehenge. Glastonbury. Tintagel. Give or take a couple, it was the tour of places appearing in old Myrdinn's tales.

"Now... I know I said that the prince looks like a responsible young man, but, having in mind his reputation, I'd advise you to avoid Londinium and any other bigger town or village where he could... succumb to temptation. This way, you'll also have more time to visit all the other places on his list."

Ginny sipped her wine, observing the two men now discussing the list and tracing the tour on the small map Lord John had placed in front of Garreth. They really look like a father and a son, she mused, noticing how proud and happy the older man looked when he watched Garreth. Her cousin's real father, a rich count twice Aunt Ealasaid's age whom she was forced to marry when she was sixteen, died before Garreth was born and she refused to marry again. At least there was Lord John for him.

She sighed, attracting the men's attention, when she remembered that in a month she would have to marry a man she did not love, just like Aunt Ealasaid.

With a quick glance at her, Garreth asked Lord John, "May we retire, and rest before we meet your guests?"

"Of course! I insist you rest as much as you can before the journey. You'll meet the prince at dinner and then set off at sunrise. Off you go. You know your chambers, Garreth, Sir Geoffrey will stay with you. Our guests are sharing the rooms next to yours."

Ginny and Garreth looked at each other. The princess had to cover her mouth to hide a grin and stifle a giggle-- she would be sharing a room with her cousin for the first time.

Luckily, Lord John was absorbed in studying the map again and did not notice how Garreth pulled her up from her chair and pushed her, not exactly courtly, out of the library.

When they reached their rooms-- a bed chamber and an adjacent small library situated right above Lord John's chambers-- Garreth ordered a bath from a maid they found inside, making their bed.

When she curtseyed and left, Garreth spoke to Ginny for the first time since they left the library.

"You must be more careful, Ginny. Lord John is... Lord John. But I bet Prince Arthur is more perceptive. He will notice that you are a girl even before we leave this castle unless you start behaving more seriously."

"All right, I promise I'll try. But are we really going to share this bed tonight?" She giggled, letting herself drop on the said bed, still fully dressed, even as a couple of maids returned with a bathtub.

"Yes, unless you prefer to sleep on the floor," Garreth whispered, sitting down next to her. "From tomorrow, we will be sharing a tent on most nights anyway... How annoying that we must avoid towns, I thought we would stay at the inns at least a few times...."

"Who says we must follow Lord John's advice?" Ginny winked at him, eager to test the strength of the prince's will, and see how much truth was hidden in his awful reputation.

"I do. Don't even think about it... You promised..."

"Calm down, I'll behave!" Ginny whisper-shouted, barely suppressing another giggle as she watched Garreth's cheeks heating rapidly with anger.

"You'll be the end of me, Ginny. This will be a long week..." he said, standing up and shaking his head the moment the last maid left the room and the small bath filled with steaming water stood by the fireplace. "Get washed and changed, I'll... I'll be with Lord John," Garreth said, wanting to give her some privacy.

"Thanks, Garreth. And don't be angry with me," she pleaded, standing up too and pulling him into an embrace before he left.

 And don't be angry with me," she pleaded, standing up too and pulling him into an embrace before he left