𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝕾𝖎𝖝

When he returned later, Garreth found his cousin washed and dressed again, asleep on the bed.

He knew how tiring the morning journey had been for her; the princess wasn't used to long rides.

An interesting week lay ahead of them... Smiling at the thought, he washed and changed his clothes too, before he woke her up.

"Ginny, come on, wake up. It's late. I've heard that the guests are back from the village, the dinner will be served in half an hour."

Ginny opened her eyes and stared at her cousin silently for a few moments, still confused by the sleep, before she recalled where she was.

"Oh... The prince," she muttered, pressing her hands over her eyes.

"Exactly. And you still need to do your hair," Garreth said, pulling at her long, russet strands, fanned out around her head on the pillow.

Yawning, she sat up, then let Garreth pull her to her feet and headed for the small mirror hanging above a water-filled basin. The moment her hair was safely hidden under a green velvet hat, a few shades darker than her eyes, matching perfectly her moss-green jacket and hose, they left the chamber.

Halfway down the dim, empty corridor, Garreth pulled her behind a tapestry, revealing a door leading to a secret passage similar to those of Warwick Castle.

"A shortcut," he announced seriously as he lit a candle, making Ginny laugh.

Hand in hand, they descended a spiral staircase ending in another gloomy, cavernous corridor, leading to a door.

Garreth blew the candle out, making everything around them fade to black momentarily before he opened the door and poked his head carefully outside.

"All safe. Come on," he said shortly, letting go of her hand and brushing a spiderweb off her hat the moment the door closed behind them.

He led her across a wide, torch lit corridor to yet another door.

"Wait!" Ginny said the instant his hand rested on the door handle, intrigued by the words reaching them from within.

Voices she had never heard before were saying something about... danger... the people's fear... King Gwynedd and the rebels... the Saxons on the borders...

One ear pressed to the cool, thick wood, eyes wide with surprise, she mouthed at Garreth, standing in an identical position at her side, 'Did you know about this?'

'No,' he mouthed back while the men beyond the door continued in their conversation.

"I bet Princess Guinevere has no idea about any of this, her father would not want to burden her," Lord John's voice stated. "See, she's too young. She agreed to marry Your Highness and then was hidden away somewhere in a safe place in the country. I believe that it's been months now since she left her father's court..."

"If only... someone could draw that Sword..." a deep, euphonious voice said.

"Do you really believe that tale, my lord? So many have tried... I think that the only way to unite the kingdoms is by marriage and war against Gwynedd and his allies."

Long silence ensued, only interrupted by clinking of goblets and crackling of fire. Garreth, pulling at Ginny's sleeve, whispered, even as he knocked on the door, "They are waiting for us. Let us go in."

The door was opened for them by a servant, and they entered.

"Here you are!" Lord John called happily. "Your Highness, let me introduce Sir Garreth of Warwick and his friend, Sir Geoffrey of Avalon."