2

MARILYN NOTICED how quickly Jessie grew accustomed to the office. She'd even found a way to get coffee quicker than humanly possible, "you need me?" Jessie stuck her head through the crack of the office door, and Marilyn gestured for her to enter.

"Yes, I'm hosting a mixer for the employees, and I want you to organize everything."

Jessie moved towards Marilyn's desk. Her five inch heels showed off her long, smooth legs, and even Marilyn couldn't deny that it was an enticing sight, "got it. Anything specific you want? Or shall I do what suits my preference?" Jessie asked.

Marilyn had grown fond of Jessie's sarcasticness. With any other employee, she'd have fired them already, "wine and champagne. No loud music. The playlist must be classic. And only finger foods."

Jessie nodded and placed her hands on her hips. She'd been working for Marilyn for a few weeks, and yet, it only seemed like yesterday, "and when will this mixer take place?"

"Friday, after work. You've got three days, don't fuck it up."

Jessie held back a chuckle from escaping her lips. Don't fuck it up seemed to be a part of Marilyn's everyday vocabulary, "of course, Doctor Isles. Have I ever disappointed you?"

"Not yet," Marilyn clasped her hands on her lap, as her eyes moved over Jessie's cleavage.

"You know, I didn't realize that you're—" Jessie stopped herself from being too blunt. She wasn't intending to lose the job yet.

"A lesbian?" Marilyn rose a brow. Jessie's eyes widened from Marilyn's own bluntness.

"Yeah," Jessie rubbed the back of her neck with the palm of her hand.

"That's what's expected when you miss about three buttons of your shirt, Miss Nightingale."

Jessie grinned and didn't feel embarrassed, "everything's for a reason, Doctor Isles. I'll let you get back to work."

Marilyn wondered what Jessie meant. She was obviously seeking attention. Was Jessie trying to gain her attention?

THE GRIN on Jessie's face didn't even falter by the presence of Harold Fleming. He'd been hitting on her since her first week at the practice, and insisted to be given her phone number, "you're not one to give up easily," Jessie grabbed a pen from her desk, and gave Harold a pat on the shoulder.

"Not one bit," his charm suited his appearance. He had that rugged look going for him. And Jessie wasn't interested.

"Here," she grabbed his hand, and scribbled down ten digits.

"I'll give you a call then," Harold's confidence seemed to have soared.

"I'll look out for it. Don't go giving out my number though," Jessie ran her hand over Harold's arm and winked. Certainly, she also had charm.

"I'd never. I'll be the only one to call, Jessie," Harold walked away.

Marilyn stood at her office door with her arms crossed over her chest. When Jessie turned and noticed Marilyn, a smirk tugged on her lips, "eavesdropping, I see."

Jessie moved behind her desk, and sat down. She turned her attention to her computer's screen, and headed into the browser, "there's a strict no fraternizing in the workplace policy, Miss Nightingale."

"Then why didn't you stop him?"

Marilyn pursed her lips. Though those policies were enforced, no one followed them, including herself, in the past, "I guess I didn't want to come off as a hypocrite."

Jessie chuckled, "that shouldn't stop you. You're the boss, after all, right?"

Marilyn nodded. She didn't know what stopped her from lecturing Harold. Maybe, it was because Jessie was involved in the situation, "right," Marilyn mumbled.