The Invitation

[Edited]

(10 months later.)

"Myra! Myra! Look, I drew this picture, do you think daddy will like it?"  my niece, Kavita asked.
"Of course Kavita, Daddy will love it, it's pretty!" I pinched her cheeks.

"What's going on?" Shivani, my sister-in-law entered the living room.

"Nothing, Shiv, I was just praising your daughter. " I said as I sat up.
"Ma! Ma! Look." Kavita ran up to her mother to show her drawing.

I watched as the mother and daughter interacted. I touched my belly. If I hadn't aborted back then, my baby would have been her age. But it was my decision and mine alone.

The doorbell rang and I went to open the door, only to find my once-best friend standing in front of me with a victorious smile. My mood soured. 

"Hi, bestie!" she exclaimed cheerfully. Tsk. Fake bitch. 

"What do you want?" l asked coldly. 

"Can I come in first?" she chirped.
I glared at her. The way she scarred me, I could never forgive her. 

"No." I spat.
"Who's at the door, Myra?" I heard Shiv's voice behind me.
"No one important!" I said back, I glared at her smiling face, which was crumbling. When she realized I wasn't budging she stopped smiling.

"You're annoying for a preschool teacher." She sneered.
"Tell me what you're here for and leave," I said as I stood upright. I was leaning on the doorframe to see her eye to eye. I was a few inches taller than her, and I knew it intimidated her. So I stood upright to tower over her. She audibly gulped, before regaining her attitude.

"Humph! I just wanted to let you know, that Pankaj and I are getting engaged and I wanted to invite you for old times' sake." She handed me a sparkly invitation card.

The audacity! "Since you've said your part, get out of my sight. Don't worry I'll attend your sordid engagement party" I slammed the door in her face. I just wished to see her fuming expression but, oh well.

I looked at the card with sad eyes. I didn't feel sad because he was marrying someone else, but because I felt betrayed. Somewhere deep down I still wished he'd come back, I guess.
"Looks like I'm not completely over that bitch." I muttered. 

"Who was that?" Shiv asked as she cradled her second-born, Rohit.
"Don't even THINK of lying to me," she warned me.
I chuckled as I handed her the envelope. I took Rohit from her and cooed sweet words in his ears and he giggled.
"Are you going? " she asked.
I thought for a while before nodding.
"I have to make him regret his decision after all." I smiled.
"Oh, I see!" Shiv smiled.
"Yeah, I don't need a man by my side to make me happy," I said as I walked further into the house.
" But that doesn't mean you'd shoo away any boy or man that comes to your life." She said.
"I know, my mister right will come when the time comes." I smiled.

Yeah, one day, I'll have my own happy little family. But that's not now.

------

Thanks for reading.

I know there are tonnes of mistakes but bear with me.
Feel free to point out any mistake you might spot.

A/N: Now that I'm editing this story, I feel so embarrassed by some of the mistakes I made. Thanks for pointing them out, otherwise, I wouldn't have started editing for even longer. 

Updated A/N : I can't believe I called that editing, there were still so many mistakes 😭😭😭 I'm so sorry readers. I promise it gets better.