13

Just Friends

The Grand Ballroom was filled with towering arrangements of flowers on each table. On the stage across the room, a band was playing Wannabe by the Spice Girls.

"Woah," Amber said as a woman walks by with the white open-necked shirt and knee-length denim shorts worn by Ba­by House­man in the Dirty Danc­ing movie. Even her hair was curly like Baby's. Quite the effort, I'd say. "I should've thought of that, but no, I just had to go as Juliet."

Sofia and I look at her white linen dress, with the white wings, of course, it won't be Juliet without the iconic wings. "You look amazing, gorgeous," Sofia claims then proceeds to point down at her Outfit. She wore Justice's outfit from Poetic Justice. It was the iconic outfit everyone knows her by, Newsboy cap, black crop top, boyfriend jeans with a black buckle belt, and black ankle boots. "I look pretty basic."

I shake my head at them both, "Girls, you both look iconically beautiful, now let's get our 90s on and find Christopher."

Alexander walked behind us, as we scanned the room for the birthday boy, but in a room filled with Iconic 90s movie costumes, it was hard to point him out. I recognized some famous faces and some people were unknown. 

"Margo Ambrosia?" We look to the left and see Taylor Swift. "No way, honey, you look amazing." She gives me a big smile as she analyzes my costume. She in turn was Miss Frizzle from The Magic School Bus, with a ginger wig in a bun to complete the look. 

"And you two, wow, you all had one job and you've done it wonderfully. amazing. I'm still shocked." Amber and Sofia had their hands to their hearts, I held my clutch with both hands in front of me, with a smile.

"Thanks, you look great too."

She looks over my shoulder, "I love that," she points, when I turn around I realize she's speaking about Alexander. I step to the side and Taylor steps closer to him and walks around him to size him up. "The Breakfast Club, John Bender?"

He nods with a toothy smile. One I'm not sure I've seen before, it made me feel weird from within. "Yup...Alexander," he extends his hand for her and she takes it.

"Taylor Swift."

"Oh, I know." He gives her a flirtatious smile, I glance down at my clutch and then up at them with a flat expression, feeling awkward. So what was this? I don't want to be with him, so he flirts with the first girl he sees? Taylor smiles up at him, and I couldn't help but picture her writing a song about him, I inwardly roll my eyes and clear my throat. 

"It was nice seeing you, I have to find Christopher." I don't wait for a response and turn around. As I walked away, the song I Wanna Dance With Somebody by Whitney Houston comes on and it washed my annoyance away as I nod my head to the beat with a lookout for Christopher. 

"Oh, there he is," Amber says. I hadn't noticed that they followed me. She points to the table right in front of the stage and sure enough there he was sitting with a table full of chatter.  He wore an overall with one strap down, with an oversized batik-print shirt. "His costume looks familiar, I just can't put my finger on it."

As we walk over, the girls tried to figure out who he was and suddenly Sofia said, "He's Will Smith from The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air."

I nod in realization. Christopher looks over at us and stands up with a huge smile plastered on his face. He opens his arms and says, "Ladies, you've made it."

The girls giggle making me look at them with a smile and turn back at Christopher. "Thanks for having us."

I hug him, and he hugs the other two who can't stop staring at him like he's a cookie or dessert. He's one of my favorite Designers, but I know how to compose myself.  That or I have a problem.