Chapter •2

"What happened to you.." he whispered to himself and the pain he felt at that moment was nothing less than a sharp knife being plunged in his heart. He barely managed himself from making any crying noises.

By the time Jeongguk opened his eyes, it was already 10pm, his head swayed and he felt heavy, dizzy and restless, wasn't aware of what was happening around him, everything was blurred.

After some minutes, trying to squint and see, fidgeting with what felt like wires of some sort, when he heard some voices in the distance,"I'll go and call the doctor and the patient is awake."

He was making sense of the situation when he heard an oddly familiar voice and during that time his vision had started to get clear a bit, so he was in the hospital, looking around he found the beds lined up and those wired were the IV.

"Jeongguk?"came in the voice of the familiar stranger, turning towards that voice, he found Taehyung.

"What are you.. where am I? What am I doing here?" He started, perplexed, had he blacked out? he didn't remember anything except the black that consumed him before all of this.

Taehyung was standing beside the doctor, his eyes covered with those soft bangs but he didn't speak anything in response just biting off his lips while the doctor examined Jeongguk's eyes with a small torch,"he is fine for now, we will be putting him on IV for the next few days though," the doctor spoke, putting the torch back into his white coat's pocket.

Taehyung nodded.

So.. Jeongguk had fainted and mother? What about her?

Coming to this realization that his mother was still on the deathbed, Jeongguk started shoving the blanket aside.

"wait, what the fuck are you trying to do?"Taehyung put a hand on his wrist, but he didn't care, he needed to get out and start working again to pay off the money for surgery.

"I don't have time,"Jeongguk mumbled, fumbling with the IV,"I need to work."

Taehyung was feeling many things at that moment but particularly rage so he took Jeongguk by surprise when he held his shoulders firmly and looked into the damsel's eyes.

"You fainted. You need nothing but rest!"Taehyung asserted, putting pressure on his shoulders to keep him as Jeongguk was failing every attempt to get out of the grip,"what's wrong with you?"

Jeongguk went still, there was no strength left in him to battle Taehyung and explain him all of the shit he has been going through,"listen, if I don't go to work, my mother will die," he said as he removed Taehyung's grip with the remaining strength.

Taehyung looked baffled, clearly having no idea of what Jeongguk was saying, because the last time he and Mrs.Jeon met, three years back, she was just doing fine,"care to explain further?"Taehyung choked out.

One after another God was hitting him with bombs.

"She is suffering from COD and she needs a bypass surgery, Taehyung, now if you please,"Jeongguk made a futile attempt to stand up but waves of dizziness hit him and he found himself hitting something hard.

"Rest for now, I'll take care of it,"Taehyung's voice felt distant, and Jeongguk didn't feel his limbs anymore.

He wanted to scream "no, I don't need any help." But why was there relief in his heart?

_________________________________

The next time Jeongguk woke up, he found himself in the same bed, in the same surroundings.

He felt a lot better, more pleasant, but still a bit sick. Surely, he had healed, he looked around himself and saw a nurse coming in his direction.

She stopped near his bed,"so, how do you feel?" She asked, putting aside her notepad by the monitor that indicated life.

Jeongguk looked at his hands,"I feel fine, a lot better," he said looking up once again.

The nurse made a humming sound, and took her notepad, starting to write something down.

"What's the date today?" Jeongguk asked, chewing on his lips.

"It's Tuesday and you've been asleep for two days. That's Sunday and Monday if you wanted to know," the nurse said looking up to him and then back to the notepad.

Okay.. what about his mother?he needed to check on her.
He heard some shuffling voices near the door and Taehyung walked in with what seemed like a caramel latté.

Right. Taehyung, he had totally forgotten about him.

Taehyung sipped his latté as he read something on his phone and stopped beside Jeongguk's bed.

"You're his guardian?"the nurse asked.

Taehyung looked up from the screen, his eyes darting from the nurse to Jeongguk as he gave a curt nod and kept the latté on the bed's headstand.

The nurse uttered a small 'okay' and went her way.

"So, how are you?" Taehyung sat on the chair beside Jeongguk's bed, keeping his phone in his coat's pocket.

Jeongguk just looked at Taehyung, unable to form any words, all he felt was appreciation and gratitude.

Taehyung was still the same except more distinguished and charming. Still the same brown hair and beautiful warm eyes.

And he on the other hand..

"Hello?" Taehyung waved his hand in front of Jeongguk, waiting for the answer.

"I'm better and.. thanks,"Jeongguk said, unable to look at Taehyung.

Noticing this Taehyung put a hand on his shoulder and said,"no need, you can pay me back Kookie."

Jeongguk whipped his head up and looked at Taehyung, tears forming in his eyes.

"Hey there,no need to cry now," and Taehyung hugged him,"hug me back you doofus!"

Taehyung had calmed himself prior to meeting Jeongguk, he didn't want to burden the skinny guy with his questions when he was going through tough times.

Taehyung smiled when Jeongguk returned the hug.

They had been best friends before they were in a relationship, but the definition of a relationship was different for both of them, which had resulted in the ultimate falling apart.

For the sake of their friendship, Taehyung thought. They could still remain civil.

Taehyung heard Jeongguk sniffling so he separated himself from the hug and saw that Jeongguk was crying.

"like literally?" Taehyung frowned, wiping away the tears from Jeongguk's face,"too comforting?"

"But it's good and warm,"Jeongguk sniffled for the nth time and pulled Taehyung in yet another hug hug,"seeing you after so long, I really needed someone."

"Could've called me.."

"Didn't have the courage, hyung,"Jeongguk sighed, relaxing his chin on Taehyung's shoulder.

"For how long have you been like this?"

Jeongguk tensed up, he knew what he was about to explain would just make Taehyung angry and frustrated.

And going back to the reasons, he remembered his mom.

"Wait, what about my mom though?" Jeongguk came to his senses, parting from the hug.

"She had the surgery, Gguk, she is now resting in her ward,"Taehyung said.

Not without noticing the furrowed eyebrows going to a relief state and then forming furrowing again.

"Did you--"

"--I did," Taehyung interrupted Jeongguk.

Jeongguk was left agape,"I'm very grateful, but you really didn't need--"

Taehyung hushed him,"--I did, you would be dying else and I didn't want that."

__________________________________

This story is in a form of mini series. I hope you guys liked it and cya soon, love you all<333