Two

Chapter 2

Staying in the Shadows

Liam

Lord, thank you for leading me here this morning.

Working as quickly as possible, Liam fashions a splint from a broken tree branch and sets her leg before wrapping it, grateful that she can't feel the pain at the moment. Out for his regular late afternoon hike, he had just entered the clearing when he saw her fall and had gotten to her as fast as he could, dismayed to feel the break in her leg. Other than the gash on her head, she looks fine, but it had been a bad fall, or rather, a bad second fall from what he could tell, and he prays she doesn't have a concussion. Until she regains consciousness, there is really no way to tell.

Slinging the backpack over his shoulders, Liam gently lifts the woman, cradling her against his chest. She seems so small in his arms, so fragile and breakable. And her face is so familiar, yet he has never seen her before, at least, not that he can remember.

You are a beautiful woman.

Liam watches her eyelids slowly flutter open and quickly turns his head, leaving the left side of his face visible. The last thing he wants to do is frighten her. That she is in pain is evident. He can see it in her eyes, along with surprise and relief.

"You are safe now," he softly tells her in a comforting voice.

"Thank you," she whispers, releasing a pain-filled groan. As she turns her face into his chest, he presses her closer, pulling her further into himself. Soaking in her warmth, he relishes the sensation of holding her in his arms. He can tell she is young, in her early twenties, maybe younger, but during the brief moment her eyes met his, he saw years of wisdom in them, and it had touched him. This is the first time in years he has been this close to a woman, and if he could, he would hold her this way forever, just to feel this kind of connection to another human being.

* * *

When he reaches his secluded log home, Liam carries the young woman into to the master suite and places her on the bed, attempting to make her as comfortable as possible. In the kitchen he fills a bowl with warm water and grabs the first aid kit from the cupboard, as well as some ibuprofen and a glass of water, then he returns to her side. She is awake now, and as he tends to the gash on her forehead, he keeps the right side of his face averted from her view, which is no small feat.

"Beautiful room," she tells him.

"Thank you."

"What is your name?"

"Liam. Liam Kinkade."

"I'm Vashti."

"I'm glad to meet you, Vashti." He covers the injured area with a large bandage. "I just wish our meeting were under better circumstances."

"I'm glad you came along when you did. It was dumb of me to go off by myself."

"Liam smiles. "I wouldn't say dumb. Maybe adventurous."

"Thanks for trying to sooth my ego," she says with a pain-laced smile. He hands her the ibuprofen and water, and she quickly takes them.

"I set the break in your leg. It should be fine until you can get to a doctor."

"I figured it was broken. Where did you learn to do that?"

"I used to be a paramedic with the fire department."

"Used to be?"

"Yeah, being injured sort of forced me into early retirement."

"I'm sorry."

"Thanks. I'm okay with it. As okay as I can be, anyway."

"So, what do you do now to keep busy?"

"Oh, mainly gardening, and I build square-foot gardening boxes for people who want to garden but only have a little space."

"Sounds fun."

"It's relaxing work. I can always go at my own pace. And what about you?"

"Receptionist at a car dealership and a florist."

"You enjoy your work?"

"I do, particularly the florist shop. I love flowers. I love everything about them. But I don't plan on working two jobs forever. Actually, I would love to open my own flower shop one day."

"Maybe one day you will be fortunate enough to do that."

"Maybe."

Liam smiles a little. He puts the dirty cloth in the bowl and checks the bandage on her forehead, making sure it is secure.

Relaxing deeper into the pillow, Vashti murmurs with a sigh, "Boy, if my brother could see me now, this would surely be his shining moment, and he would never let me live this down."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, I went hiking alone, broke my leg, and now I'm somewhere in the woods, being tended to by a stranger–a man perfectly qualified, who came along at the very moment I needed help. But that wouldn't matter to my brother."

"I take it he's overprotective."

"Worse. He's a horse's hind end who always thinks he's right when it comes to my life's decisions."

Smiling again, Liam keeps his face averted and places the bowl on the floor. Lord, what a spitfire this woman is! he muses.

"Can I ask you something, Liam?"

"Sure," he answers, suddenly wary.

"Why do you turn away from me?"

Hesitating in his response, he sighs, knowing he has no choice but to answer. "Because you won't like what you see."