one

"you can't go. it's too dangerous." i said, grabbing her wrist as she tried to leave.

"too dangerous?" she scoffed, and shook me off with a look of disbelief and anger. "since when did you tell me what to do? i'll do whatever i want. you're not like, my boyfriend or anything."

i rolled my eyes, a show of exasperation despite the fear and desperation that was steadily growing in my chest.

"you could get seriously injured." i tried to force a playful smirk. "someone as clumsy as you? you could die." she glared at me.

"and since when did you care whether i lived or died?"

the tightness in my chest grew more intense. i was grasping at straws and she knew it. i chewed on my lip, feeling the facade that i had so carefully constructed shatter around me.

"please. i don't want to lose you." i said quietly after a moment of heavy silence. she laughed dryly, staring me dead in the eye.

"you can't lose what you never had." she said deliberately, her eyes boring into me.

of course, she was right. regardless of what we'd been though, what we'd done and the things we said, i never had her. i'd never asked her. i brushed it all off as joking and teasing and meaningless flirting, and now i was paying the price for my cowardice. but my pride was too strong to beg.

"fine. go get yourself killed. see if i care." i snarled.

she stared at me for a while and left, slamming the door behind her. i watched her go and hoped to god that it wouldn't be the last time i saw her.