two

"give it back."

"finders keepers."

she lunged at me, trying to grab at the satchel i'd snagged from her empty chair.

"you're going to have to be faster than that." I teased, raising it over her head. "come on, work for it."

after several failed attempts, she stood back and crossed her arms angrily, her face scrunched into an annoyed grimace.

"aww, you're so cute when you're mad!"

she ignored me. "it's not yours." she argued, and i laughed at her.

"it is now." i stated and began rifling through the bag just to get a rise out of her. suddenly her demeanor changed, a wry smile twisting across her face.

"i'll tell everyone."

"tell everyone what?" i asked absentmindedly.

"that you kissed me."

my chest tightened, but i rolled my eyes.

"i'll deny it."

"and who do you think they'll believe?" she asked, making her way closer to me. "a cocky, dishonest thief, or me?" i avoided her gaze.

she smirked at me, and lifted my chin to meet her eyes. flashbacks of that night began to flood my head, and a shiver ran up my spine. i remembered the blue of the night, the salty taste of the air, the argument we had gotten in just before, the way i didn't even think about kissing her. i didn't mean to. it just sort of happened...

she interrupted my thoughts by ripping the satchel from my hands. she laughed triumphantly. "you get distracted too easily."

"you...you can't just..." i managed, my embarrassment turning to anger. "you can't use that against me! you kissed me back! so...so if you told them-"

she cut me off with a sharp laugh. "please, you really think i would have told them? they never would have believed me. i'm way out of your league."

i clenched my fists. how could i have fallen for that? "then why even threaten it?" i spat angrily, glaring at her.

she looked at me thoughtfully for a moment and then parroted back to me what i'd said to her just moments before. "you're so cute when you're mad."