Author Interview: "The Gazelle (A Rapunzel Retelling)" by @KaraCarreira

Today we are spotlighting amazing Action-Adventure Fantasy Retelling author KARA aka KaraCarreira, author of "The Gazelle (A Rapunzel Retelling)" on Wattpad's "Fantastical Adventures" Reading List.

About the Story

A chance encounter with an enemy general takes a sheltered young woman on a journey across the desert, where she must elude a vengeful goddess long enough to return to the parents she never knew.

***

Having lived alone in a tower all her life, Tabeya can only dream of the outside world. That changes when she meets Humban, a young general from a rival kingdom who isn't afraid to ask the questions she has long given up on. Those questions bring answers that lead them into the desert, in search of the parents Tabeya never knew.

But the world beyond her tower is not what she expected. An age-old war ravages the land. With the vicious elements to contend with and her guardian hunting them relentlessly, there's no guarantee that she and Humban will survive long enough to fulfill their quest. The last thing they need is to discover a forbidden love that can destroy them.

As Tabeya navigates her new life, it becomes clear that it isn't like the stories she grew up with. Happy endings aren't freely given.

They are fought for.

Questions for our Author

What is your favorite genre to read and write? What about age range?

I'll probably read anything. Sometimes I chase plot bunnies down burrows outside of my writing comfort zone. While I have an appreciation for most genres of fiction, I prioritize the ones I gravitate towards naturally, both as a reader and writer (at least until I can free up time to cater to all my whims!).

Fantasy is my first love and the reason I originally wanted to be a writer. I love getting lost in beautiful worlds where magic exists and anything is possible. Historical fiction is my other favorite. I've always felt drawn to the past. My history lessons in school were often spent daydreaming about the day's topic. No surprises there! Mystery is also one of my top genres. Some of the first books I ever read were mystery stories, and they had a huge influence on me. Paranormal fiction is another of my lifelong loves. In fact, I distinctly remember thinking up a ghost story when I was bored in grade 4 science one day. I also love me a good romance subplot regardless of genre! In fact, I can't do without it.

As for age range, I devour young adult stories in my favorite genres. I have a soft spot for new adult stories because that's the demographic I fall into. I find those stories really relatable, and I adore following characters who are my age through a life-changing experience.

I don't think my answer would surprise anyone who knows me well or has read any of my works on Wattpad. My stories are fusions of the above genres in different proportions. The same can be said for my short stories except for my chick lit one ("Something New Blooms"). While that's all for the genre for now, I hope to explore it further at some point. So far, I've mostly written for a young adult/new adult audience. After all, they say write what you know and what you'd like to read!