Oh Love, You Haunt Me

There was a knock on his door.

Expresso groaned and lifted his head from the desk.

Ah, he must've passed out while doing research. He sits up, cracking his back and joints.

There it was again. A knock on his door.

"Expresso?" Ah, it was Gingerbrave.

He tosses on his coat and cape, inspecting his hair for just a moment before going to answer the door.

"Hello, is there something you need?"

"Well no," the other cookie chuckled sheepishly, "but there's a new cookie in the kingdom! You should come and greet him!"

"Who is this cookie?" Espresso asked, leaning against the door frame with his arms crossed.

"I'm not sure. I haven't met him yet but from what I hear, he's a knight!"

He huffs out a laugh, to hide the joy that wells up in his chest, "might as well."

He thanks Gingerbrave who runs off to gather everyone else, before walking quickly to meet this newcomer. Soon he spots a crowd of cookies and knows that the newcomer was there.

If he was who Espresso thought he was...

When he came closer, he could not help but to slip a small smile.

It was.

Pale golden-brown dough, soft white hair of vanilla cream. He dons on the usual white chocolate and vanilla cake armor, wielding a brilliant white and golden sword and shield.

Madeleine Cookie in all his glory. He laughed joyfully with the other cookies, standing beside his sugar horse.

He was here.

Madeleine finally stopped laughing and turned.

Their eyes made contact.

"Espresso!" He exclaimed, and the cookies parted like waves, "My friend!"

He couldn't help but huff, "Madeleine Cookie. You just had to show up, huh?"

About time.

"Why of course!" He laughs, the type of laughter that was loud and clear and vibrated deep within one's chest.

"It is all thanks to the Divine that we meet again!" He declares, before wrapping his strong arms around Espresso's slender waist.

"Let go, you big oaf!" He demanded with no real bite to his words.

Thank the witches for his dark dough, or else everyone else might've seen his face grow red.

He's just glad that everything was alright, and that Madeleine wasn't-

He felt the cold blade sink into his torso.

Huh?

Madeleine pulled away just a bit to look at him, a casual smirk on his face.

But his eyes were as red as strawberry jam. No longer were they blue.

"M-Madeleine-!" Espresso coughed out jam, hand covering his mouth.

The sounds of cookies were gone. Replaced with eerie silence. When he looks around, he is horrified to see the bodies of crumbled cookies everywhere.

Madeleine, now donning armor of strawberry and dark chocolate, holds him close. The hug became suffocating, a trap meant to hold him as he died.

"I'd never think you'd be so, so foolish Espresso," the dark knight shook his head.

He pulls out his sword and Espresso falls to his knees, jam pouring into the ground.