[Alt.] Teumessian Fox 2

WARNING: Unhealthy relationship (obsession over past Madeleine) and possibly implied NSFW

...

Crimson was...a bit different, Espresso supposed. Not that the mage cared too much, as every implication that reminded him of the knight's former self had him latched on like a leech. From his prideful laughs to the smirks and smiles, to even his features.

Espresso Cookie held onto whatever fragments of Madeleine Cookie that was left.

Crimson Knight Cookie never said anything about it. He didn't mind when Espresso insisted on braiding and brushing out his long hair every night and morning. He obliged when Espresso wanted him to follow the mage everywhere. The corrupted knight even lets Espresso share his bed.

Since Madeleine Cookie's fall from the Divine—Espresso could only feel regret for his own actions. Perhaps that is why he is here at Madeleine's side, chasing after some cookie who could probably never come back. He adored Crimson. He loved Crimson. He would do anything so as long as he stayed by his side.

And yet, even under Pomegranate Cookie's spell—he is no fool. Espresso was sure that Crimson tolerated his requests because he was ordered to. He is very much aware of the knight's lack of feelings for him.

And yet...

The fact that Crimson would scoop him up and away to bed when he's been working for too long—sends his heart leaping out of its chest. Whenever he follows him and talks of just about anything and everything brought a nostalgic feeling that makes him smile fondly and Espresso can't help but listen—if it sometimes grated on his nerves. Whenever he tells him to take care of himself during days Espresso stayed up to work, his heart flutters. He even brought doughnuts and coffee and Espresso would smile, like he was a little cookie on Christmas morning.

Madeleine Cookie just had to be there. Somewhere.

He just wanted Madeleine back.

Was this enough?

During the few occasions he was lucky to be alone—Espresso cried, mourning the loss of the knight commander.

He knows. He knows every little thing Crimson Knight Cookie does only tightens the spell's grip on him. He knows that every soft look Crimson gives just has to be a lie, an act, a facade. Every action only feeds his desire to be with the knight, only makes that desire stronger which the spell feeds and feeds to make it harder for him to break free.

He knows but he wants to stay with this reborn cookie. He wants to live in this delicately weaved fantasy that Crimson reciprocates these feelings—or at least cared about him too. It hurts but he can't help but feel it is what he deserves.

But when was enough, enough?

Crimson Knight Cookie once found him in tears, hands buried in his hair. He approaches him, the sound of his armor giving away his presence. Espresso looks up, glasses askew and eyes red from tears. The knight kneels down and brushes the tears away with a gloved thumb.

"What a sight we have here," the former follower of the Divine murmured, "what ails you, my friend?"

"Don't say that," Espresso murmured, averting his gaze—tone cold and harsh, "I know it's a lie."

"After all this time we spent together, do you not believe we were?"

"I know it is insincere."

"What makes you think that, my beloved mage?"

Oh, how those words squeeze his heart.

"Don't...don't say things like that."

His hands tremble.