Maid of Honour

Rosie, Portia and I sat in the quaint bridal shop in the village of St Carolina's. We were waiting for Jemima to emerge from the dressing room and I was trying desperately to program myself into best friend mode. Unfortunately, my mind was a little all over the place.

Did this Portia definitely see Llyr? I wondered, glancing sideways at her. She had been sitting there quietly on the beige sofa, her hands folded in her lap, red curls pinned up in a half-up, half-down style. She could easily have mentioned him by now, Jemima had been in there for bloody hours.

Maybe only some Islanders couldn't see the mers, I thought hopefully. Or maybe, there had been so much fuss centered on my being in the waters that she had not seen him there.

Unlikely, and unlikelier, I thought frustrated. Dammit, why today? At that precise time?

There was a rustle from the dressing room and I sat upright attentively.

"Oh my gosh, wait till you see it, Crystal," said Rosie. "It's stunning."

I recoiled. Rosie's seen Jemima's dress already? I had to admit, I felt a little stung. I hadn't even known she had found one yet.

"We came here last week, you were... busy," said Rosie, honing in on my surprise.

"Hmm," I mumbled, looking down. Had I really been that busy?

"Busy, eh?" giggled Portia knowingly.

I looked up at her. Her green eyes were glinting with intrigue, and I swallowed a big lump. I knew what she was getting at.

"Yeah," I said nervously. "I work and stuff."

"Well, I want your job," said Portia. "If that's what your work mates look like. Or sorry, Triathlon mates."

I squirmed in my seat.

"Portia!" hissed Rosie, looking at me worriedly.

There was no way I was going to gossip about Llyr with this girl. Is there any chance she thinks he's a regular human?

"I know, I know, island secret," whispered Portia, crushing that idea. "But I'm sorry, I'm just so excited, I've never seen one up close before."

I looked at her in dismay. My secret was out.

"Ta-dah!" came a voice.

I turned my head. Jemima was walking towards us now dressed fully in white.

"Oh, great, that's inspiring Crystal," she said, stopping in her tracks and looking at me. I realised my face was still a picture of horror.

I had to snap out of this right now!

Focus Crystal White, focus!

I looked my best friend up and down. The dress was strapless and tightly fitted at the top. The bodice was made from an ivory coloured lace and embellished with sweet little pearls. At the waist it flared out slightly and tumbled to her feet, extending at the back into a small train. It was simple but very elegant and it suited her tall, thin frame perfectly.

"It's gorgeous!" I cried, standing up.

"Are you sure?" she said, frowning at me.

"Yes," I said. "I'm sorry, I was distracted back then... but now, now looking at you... I just, wow!"

It really was a lovely dress and as I stood there, it hit me. She was actually going to be getting married. I felt my eyes well up.

"Oh God, here she goes," sighed Jemima putting an arm around me.

"I'm sorry, it's just... I can't believe it's actually happening!" I sniffed, wiping my eyes with my cardigan sleeve. "It's so amazing and... and I suppose, well, I suppose I'd best not ruin your dress with my tears.

I side-stepped to the left, but suddenly Rosie appeared fussing around her

"Okay, I think you need some accessories," said Rosie, turning to the shop keeper. "What do you have?" she asked her.

I suddenly felt annoyed. Okay, Rosie had gone to choose the dress with her, but I could take it from here. I was the maid of honour. This was surely my job. "Well, actually, I think it looks nice just like this," I protested, in a weak attempt to take the reins.

"Just like this?" Rosie said, raising her eyebrows.

"Well, sometimes less is more," I said defensively.

"Okay, Jemima, do you want to go to your wedding just like this?" said Rosie, holding out her hands and looking at Jemima with a smirk.

Jemima looked amused. "Crystal, I'm going to need a veil, love," she said, biting her cheek. I could tell she was trying not to laugh.

Oh.

"Well, obviously you need a veil!" I cried shaking my head, as though it was somehow Rosie who had got it all wrong.

"I will go and get some veils," said the shop assistant, smiling politely. "And anything else?" she asked Rosie.

Rosie held her hands out towards me, indicating that I was the one to consult on such matters.

I quickly racked my brain. What else do brides wear?

"Erm, some tights?" I said eventually.

Rosie and Jemima burst into giggles, and I began to feel foolish.

"Tights?" repeated Jemima laughing.

"We don't really stock hosiery here," said the shop assistant sympathetically. "Our customers usually purchase them separately."

"Oh," I said nodding, as Rosie and Jemima continued to giggle uncontrollably. Portia was now joining in, much to my annoyance.

"A tiara?" Portia suggested to me, between sniggers.

I snapped my fingers. "Tiaras," I relayed to the shop assistant, which sent them into more laughing fits.

This was so unfair. Why are they laughing at me? I was just trying to be a maid of honour... not that I really know what a maid of honour does... or coming to think of it, anything about weddings. All of a sudden I understood their amusement and I slowly began to laugh myself.

Oh well, at least I tried.