Bombshell

Later on that evening, I sat on the end of my jetty, watching the sun dip into the sea. I had slept through most of the day, after returning that morning from our fateful 'fishing trip' but my body felt heavy. Maybe it was my mood, I told myself. I had woken up in an instant state of depression and anxiety, my spirits only lifting slightly when I received a text message from Jemima, asking to meet tomorrow for a drink.

At least she was still talking to me, I had thought, texting back immediately, to arrange a time and place.

Now, I sat waiting for Llyr, my stomach literally tying itself in knots as I thought about what I was going to say to him. I presumed he must know by now, but I had no idea how I was going to make this better for him. What could we possibly say to reassure each other now?

I leaned my elbows on my knees and put my head in my hands. He must have got such a bollocking from Ri. And what of those on the outskirts? What would they say now? Oh, how I hoped Ri hadn't gone to them already with our lies. He would be in trouble, and who knew what all this would mean for me, for my move. Would I have to just get up and leave, tell my mum and dad I was off to live under the sea, on my way out the back door? Would I even get to go for my drink with Jemima tomorrow?

As I sat waiting my head throbbed. For the millionth time since I had met Llyr, I wondered how a love could be so wonderful and yet so painful at the same time.

After a long stretch of fretting, I became aware that the sun had disappeared beneath the horizon and that I sat now alone in the dark. He would occasionally emerge just after sundown and I sat waiting for him to surface before me.

But as the minutes turned into an hour, I began to face a horrible new anxiety. Is he going to come at all?

***

Another hour had passed but I could not just give up and go inside, knowing that he may come. If I went indoors I knew I would tear my hair out anyway, so I may as well stay.

I would sit here all night waiting for him if I had to. It was a pitch black evening, and there was no comforting moonlight. If it wasn't for my night vision, I would have been really scared sitting here, but thankfully, I could still see the sea, the wood I sat upon and the creaky little rowing boat to my right. Everything was just a darker shade.

I sighed and lay down on my side, curling my knees up towards my chest. I was trying really hard not to panic, to think the worst. But seriously, where was he?

He couldn't have forgotten. We met every night now unless stated otherwise. So if he wasn't here then there must be a reason. Maybe I'm the reason. Could he have decided it's all just way more trouble than it's worth? No, I told myself quickly. He loves you, he wants to marry you, remember? Oh, how I just wish he would hurry up and get here.

I could feel tears of worry build up behind my eyes, but I knew as soon as I let them pour over my face, was the moment I would lose the plot. There was something about crying that marked the point of no return.

I squeezed my eyes shut and willed them away.

Suddenly there was a gentle splash below and I sat up, nearly hyperventilating with relief when I saw his face emerge.

"Crystal," he whispered quickly. "Come, quick. We need to go."

My stomach lurched, and I felt my eyes widen. Llyr's urgency made it painfully obvious things were not right. But I nodded silently and stood up, taking off my t-shirt and jeans and chucking them in the rowing boat, along with my phone, whilst he waited silently below.