Parent Day Pt2

A/N- the chapter had gotten WAY too long (20k words when they're usually only 7k) so I split it in half and decided to publish this one now, while the others would be published later in the week. Sorry it's taken so long <3 also I love reading your guys' analyses and long ass paragraphs in the comments<33 it's like reading goodreads reviews on my own book and makes me so happy, so TY! ILY <3- Amy

Cesarie Zhifeng was not speaking to me, in direct contrast to her twin-counterpart, who refused to leave my side. Even when approaching the party, nearly an hour late because of his drunken state, he refused to let go of me. I warned him that entering together would set off the wrong image. He should enter with his sister instead, and present a united front to the rest of the magical world, while I was left to slink in unnoticed like a snake, but he would hear none of it. Even Paris had been at the reception for hours now, since the Head Boy was always responsible for receiving the guests. It was only us that were outrageously late.

Cesarie wouldn't talk to me. Ibet had led her out of Clairs room, gently touching me on the shoulder with her mehndi covered hand, on her way out. She made sure to keep her hand on the outer edge where all the bones lay and away from my neck. Clair was shaken with wide eyes. The gold irises looked horribly off putting and small compared to how much the whites were protruding. He wouldn't let go of my arm.

"What's wrong with her?" I asked him several times on the way down to the party. He didn't answer, instead muttering the same reply over and over again. He kept telling me that I scared her, being gone for so long. I told him that it hardly seemed long for me. That I had thought I was only gone for a few seconds. He warned me not to do that ever again. I promised I wouldn't. I lied. We didn't talk till we reached the double doors of the chapel, waiting in the howling wind for our courage to build up enough to face our parents.

Despite our inexcusable tardiness though, we refused to go in. We stood outside, freezing in the sub zero temperatures, and staring at the intimidating entrance way. It looked the same since I had been last out here during Aline's funeral reception; same looming alabaster building, same 30-foot Palladian windows, only this time it was surrounded by snow. As usual, vibrant, unnatural flowers poked out from the carpet of white, courtesy of the Anthousai-wood nymphs and sprites that kept them flourishing all year long.

I shuffled my feet in front of the doors, the long, white slip of the dress shifting over my thighs. It was nothing particularly special; an ivory-colored, long silk dress that shifted with every movement. I had lost so much weight that a brassiere wasn't necessary, and wore it without any under garments, the silk cool against my pale skin. The only weaponry I had on my person were two small dagger sstrapped to my upper bicep, enchanted to be invisible; anything else would show through the thin material of the silk. Despite having the twins spend their time obsessively tracking the Chudovische's whereabouts through Meier's mind, making sure I was not left blindsided again, I still refused to take any risks after what had happened in the tunnel.

My hair was nothing special either; pin straight and shiny from a lazy glamour thrown on last minute, and tied into a slick, low pony-tail. I looked presentable. Not breath taking or glamorous, but presentable. I refused to do anything but the bare minimum for my pathetic excuse of a mother. She did not deserve it.

My entire body was uncomfortably cold as tingles buzzed throughout it. My hands and fingers were stiff as I methodically balled them up and opened them, trying to increase blood flow. This wouldn't be necessary if Clair and I stopped standing outside in the freezing cold and just went in, but we both weren't prepared to face the nightmare of our mothers. My body was filled with an uncomfortable trepidation at the thought. I knew I would be reeling and throwing up in the bushes if I had not left my body hours prior. The full extent of my emotions had not recovered yet, to my relief.