Unexpected Friend

The Next Day -

Karna didn't realize how tired he had been. Yesterday's event must have taken a toll on him because he fell asleep in the corner of the room. Karna had woken up before the sun even rose. It was a habit at this point. He went out of the Pandavas' chambers and asked some servants for some white clothes and a bronze puja pot (Kalash).

Just like always, he changed into plain white clothes and went towards the banks of Ganga. Due to the early hour, not many were awake. Karna reached the river bank just as the sun peeked through the horizon. He collected some of the Ganga's pure water in his Kalash and started his prayers to Lord Surya.

Karna felt the tension slip away from his body as the sun's rays blanketed his being. Since he can remember, the sun's rays have always comforted Karna. His Surya puja gave Karna a feeling of peace and happiness. He always admired Lord Surya for giving light to the people while burning himself. Karna also wished to give to the people, so he had vowed to give anything to anyone who came to him after his Surya puja as long as it was within his capabilities.

After Karna finishes his puja, he opens his eyes to gaze upon the morning sun. He looks at the sight in front of him before turning toward the riverbank. He then says, "I will now give alms to anyone who needs it. I promise to give anything asked as long as it is in my right to do so."

Many of the villagers in Hastinapura know about Karna's alms and gathered at the bank while he was doing his prayers. The villagers were made aware of the happening of the Sabha. They felt heartbroken on behalf of one of their own. They were all witnesses to the struggles that Karna faced throughout his life. Learning about his enslavement caused sadness in their hearts.

To comfort the poor man, the villagers decided to ask him to spend some time with them so that they could pamper him a little before his masters took him away. Radha's (Karna's foster mother) closest friend had come forward and asked, "Karna, my child, I want to ask you to spend some time with us today before you go back to the palace. Let this Kaki indulge you in place of your mother."

Looking at the villagers he grew up with, Karna felt his eyes water. He had lost his parents at the young age of 7. Karna would work small jobs so that he could feed his 5-year-old brother. This village had been so helpful and caring towards his orphan self. Karna could never deny the villagers of Hastinapura, so he looked at the woman who had once taken care of him and said, "Anything for you Kaki."

"Come, Karna. The other ladies and I have put together a nice feast for everyone to enjoy for breakfast," said the woman.

That morning, Karna enjoyed spending time with the people of his village. He felt loved and cared for as each of the mothers fed their delicious dishes to him. At that moment, Karna felt like the happiest man in the world. For those few hours, he forgot the struggles he would soon face in the future.

Back at the Palace -

The Pandavas wake up and get ready for the day. They went into the common area to wake up Karna and order him to prepare arrangements to go to Anga. When they looked around the room, they didn't find him anywhere. They ask another servant about the whereabouts of Karna. The servants who helped Karna get ready for his Surya puja informed the Pandavas about Karna's morning routine.

"How dare that servant go off on his own without informing us," Nakula says.

In anger, the Pandavas plan to punish him with 20 lashes in the Sabha for his arrogance. Yudhishthira, Bhima, Nakula, and Sahadeva go to the Sabha, while Arjuna orders some soldiers to bring Karna to the Sabha and use force if needed.

After giving his orders, Arjuna joins his brothers in the Sabha.

At the Sabha -

All the significant figures were gathering in the Sabha. The events of yesterday's Dyut plagued many of their minds. Those close to Karna were trying to find a way to free him from his predicament. The people who cared for the Pandavas' well-being were relieved that nothing happened to them, but could not help but feel pity for Karna's situation.