The Bambino

Hector had managed to unearth a bag of pretzels from his backpack and began to munch. No one looked like they were going to puke, so Dad spread out the picnic again and a snack frenzy began.

"You guys, thank you for standing up for me and Bambino." Luis was touched - still sweating from possibly losing his livelihood - but touched.

"Of course, we always stand with our captain!" Carley raised her cup.

"Yeah, especially when some idiot deflects the blow." As if Justin needed to remind us.

"Thanks. You know, I don't tell many people about this but I've been in worse before."

"Soddy?" Hector put down the chip he was about to smother in guacamole.

"Long time ago, my little brother and I, we were sent to America on a - well, I wouldn't call it a boat." Luis looked back toward the wicked sea and his mouth turned down at the corners. He blinked furiously. "There was a storm - we capsized and - lost him."

"Luis, I'm so sorry," Carley said. Murmurs of sympathy went around.

"It was a long time ago." Luis took a deep breath. "Anyway, I promised him I would make our dream come true. That one day I would own a real boat, one that couldn't be sunk."

"And you have," Dad said. "You did it. No one can take that away."

"Yes. Bambino, that's what I called my little brother."

"Here's to Luis, our fearless leader and the best damned captain ever!" Justin cheered as everyone swarmed to hug the captain.

Dad split a beer in two cups and handed one each to Riley and me. "Here, you earned it."

"Okay, Beers!" Riley clunked her plastic cup with mine.

"Beers! To Luis and Bambino!" we all cheered.

The evening light was golden as we cruised back to our marina. Justin sat next to me, his beautiful arms so close to mine. Riley raised her eyebrows in a "go for it" signal.

"So, you going to the street dance tonight?" I asked.

"We're going. Aren't we Carley ?" Justin said.

"You know it, sweetie." I watched in horror as Carley caressed Justin's shoulder and kissed it. They weren't just sailing buddies but an actual couple?

Justin stroked her hair. Then why had he been so attentive? Was I the shiny sophomore who had tried to take her man?

"Okay, ju guys get a room!" Hector squeaked.

April Fools!

Justin's eyes moved back and forth between mine. "I wouldn't go without you."

Our song was playing again on the radio and we sang together at the top of our lungs. "The sun goes down, the stars come out, and all that counts is here and now, my universe will never be the same, I'm glad you came!"

A/N: That last bit was in honor of #justwriteit #AprilFools, the reason I decided to write and share this story. But wait, there's more. Please turn the page.