Chapter Sixteen

Everything glittered gold, nearly blinding Charlotte as she walked in her high heels. Henry gripped her arm, making sure she didn't take an embarrassing tumble in front of everyone that was watching them. Bright lights glinted against the gold ribbons and gold balloons, creating a golden glow around the cafeteria of Swellview High School, where the Spring Formal was being held because the school couldn't afford a better venue. Or maybe they just didn't want to shell out a lot of money for the Spring Formal than what they had to. Either way, Charlotte couldn't forget that they were standing in their cafeteria instead of on a dance floor. She could still smell the lunch that they had a few days ago, and she wrinkled her nose.

She and Henry headed into the cafeteria with the rest of their classmates that were going to the dance together. Most of them gawked at the changes to the cafeteria, acting like they didn't even recognize the small space. Some of them said it looked so nice and classy, but the rest of them couldn't stop talking about how tacky it was to have a gold theme with the red carpet leading toward the dance floor. They were acting like this was Hollywood or something, but it was just a dance. Charlotte didn't understand the hype. She already wanted to leave, to go home and do some of her homework instead of being here with the people she did like.

She immediately made a beeline for one of the tables in the corners of the cafeteria, her high heel clicking on the tiled floor. Glancing over her shoulder, she was glad to see Henry being swarmed by a bunch of random girls. She didn't want to dance with Henry tonight. If anything, maybe some of her classmates would ask him to dance like they were doing right then, and he would continue saying yes until it was time to go home. She still didn't have a plan if they both were voted for Spring Formal prince and princess because then they would have to dance together. It would be awkward and horrible. Hopefully, people still hated her for her betrayal of Jack Swagger with Kid Danger where they wouldn't vote for her.

Looking back over at Henry, she giggled when she saw him trying to tear his arm out of a nerdy girl's grip. He locked eyes with Charlotte, and she grinned when she saw the panic written across his face. Finally, he pulled himself out of her grip, almost running over to Charlotte in his Kid Danger suit and mask. He sat down next to her, sucking in a deep breath. 

"Okay, I knew that people would be all over me, but that was crazy," he whispered to her, nervously looking around the area. Charlotte couldn't help but laugh at him. "Why are you laughing at me? You should be jealous that they all want me."

"I'm not jealous," she said, even though she felt the familiar tendrils of jealousy filling her veins. She brushed a curl out of her eyes, clutching her shawl around her body. "I'm thirsty."

"I'll get us some drinks," Henry said to her as he took a deep breath. He stood up, giving her a confident grin. "And try to find us something to eat."

"Are you sure about that? Do you want to get caught in the craziness again?"

"For you, yes."

Charlotte froze where she was sitting as he winked at her. She watched as he disappeared into the crowd, hating how her heart started thudding against her chest. No one paid much attention to her, but Kid Dangly was the star of the show tonight. When they had joined the line to get inside the dance, everyone started talking to him, asking about how he felt going to the first dance of his life or if he wanted to be the Spring Formal prince, or if he wanted to ditch his date for someone else. It was like she wasn't here at all or that she was invisible, but she was fine with it. She didn't want people looking at her with those angry, jealous eyes.

"Can you believe they don't have any food here at all?" Henry whispered to her as he handed her a cup full of red punch after making his way back to her. He sat down next to her at their table with a frown on his face. "I'm starving, and they have no food here. I find that very outrageous."