A Losing Game

Stepping from the shadows - the light revealed Jim, who had a tight grip on Melody. Only now, there was a red dot settled on ther forehead.

"Is that a British Army Browning L9A1 in your pocket - or are you just pleased to see me?" Jim asked.
Sherlock pulled John’s pistol from his coat and trained it on Jim.

"Both. " Sherlock quipped.

"Jim Moriarty. Hi." Jim announced. He held out his free hand, smiling warmly.

When Sherlock didn’t respond, Jim looked disappointed.

"Jim. From the hospital?" He pulled a mock ‘sad’ expression. "Really, did I make such a fleeting impression? But then, that was rather the point."

Sherlock’s gaze flicked over to John and Melody, the laser light still trained on them both.

"Don’t be silly. Someone else is holding the rifle. I don’t like getting my hands dirty. I’ve given you a glimpse, Sherlock. Just a teensy glimpse of what I’ve got going on out there in the big bad world. I’m a specialist, you see. Like you."

"Dear Jim, please could you fix it for me to dispose of my boyfriend’s nasty sister...? Dear Jim, please could you fix it for me to disappear to South America...?" Sherlock mimicked.

"Just so."

"A consulting criminal! Brilliant!"

"Isn’t it? No-one ever gets to me. And no-one ever will."

"I did. Melody did."

"You’ve come the closest. But now you’re in my way. And Melody here? Well, our little princess just needs to warm up to me."

"Thank you." Sherlock said as he noticed Melody struggle in Jim's hold.

"Didn’t mean it as a compliment."

"Yes, you did."

"Yeah, okay, I did. But the flirting’s over, Sherlock. Daddy’s had enough now. I’ve shown you what I can do. I cut loose all those people, all those little problems, even thirty million quid just to get you to come out and play. Did you like the Czech Republic thing? That’s what you might call a leitmotif. Had you going there, didn’t I? But take this as a friendly warning, my dear. Back off. You know, I’ve loved this. This game of ours. It’s been a treat. Playing Jim from IT. Playing gay. Did you like the little touch? With the underwear? And poor Melody, waiting for you all alone on that roof, looking at the stars. I almost didn't want to bring her here like this. But I knew I just had to have her here. Even got to see that lovely little figure of hers when we changed her clothes." Jim said with a wicked grin, kissing Melody on the cheek as a muffled sob escaped her. She couldn't hold it back anymore,  she was terrified and now she felt disgusting and violated.

"People have died." Sherlock snapped.

"That’s what people do!" Jim yelled, causing tears to stream down Mel's face.

"I will stop you."

"No. You won’t."

Sherlock looked over at John. "You ok?"

John didn’t even move, frozen with fear.

"You can talk, Johnny boy. Go ahead." Jim informed him.

John gave a small nod, but the laser light still hovered over the explosives.

Sherlock looked at his friend, then at Melody, and thrust out the memory stick. "Take it!"

"What? Oh. That. Missile plans? Boring. Could’ve picked them up any time." Jim took the memory stick from Sherlock and tossed it in the pool.
Sherlock moved forward instinctively, pulling Melody away from Jim. John seized on the distraction, rushing forward to throw his arms around Jim.