Birth of the Forest 12.

"We may only have a non-aggression pact with Kumo but we have to deepen that alliance. Sarutobi-sensei laid the groundwork well. We need to build on it as fast as possible", Tsunade said to the assembled council.

They were all here. All the great clans of Konoha were represented by their respective clan heads, save for the Uchiha. The aftermath of the invasion weighed heavily on the upper hierarchy of Konoha, causing them to assemble and take decisions on the village's future.

"Kumo is hardly trustworthy, Hokage-sama. They are traitorous dogs who break their word at the drop of a hat. We have seen this for ourselves. What guarantee do we have that the Raikage won't dishonour our agreement the same way he did when he authorized Hinata's kidnapping?" Hiashi asked in a cold voice.

Some shinobi in the room were nodding their heads, mostly Hyuuga Jounin. It had affected the Hyuuga clan deeply when they were forced to sacrifice the Branch family head to preserve the Byakugan's secrets.

Tsunade looked at Naruto, who stood up and faced Hiashi calmly.

"You speak the truth, Hiashi-san. They may very well try to dishonour our treaty when it conveniences them. Ninja have never been ones for honor, have we? We protect what is ours at all costs even if everything else burns."

Mito watched with rapt attention as her husband began to gather the support of the clans. Hashirama was always very charismatic, in speech and action. The opposite of Madara, she thought. Madara was forceful, convincing his subordinates with his awe-inspiring strength. But Hashirama…

"But then-"Hiashi began to reply.

"There is one thing, Hiashi-san, which you have forgotten. The Raikage will have heard the truth of Naruto's actions on the battlefield. To beat Onoki and his army simultaneously is no mean feat as you well know. He will be afraid to oppose Konoha with what strength Kumo has now. I assume that is why the non-aggression pact was inked to last for just three years, enough time for Kumo to gather its strength. Only when Kumo is at her full might will the Raikage try to lean out of his neutrality" finished Tsunade.

"What if he is favouring Akatsuki all this time, and simply keeping Konoha out of the picture till he is ready?" Yamanaka Inoichi questioned with a sombre face.

"Unlikely. As far as we know, Akatsuki have no foothold in Kumo. Jiraiya-sama, to your knowledge have Kumo hired Akatsuki even once?", Kakashi asked.

"No. They have never hired Akatsuki in any capacity. We need have no worry about them turning to Akatsuki. But that begs the question. Why the three years of non-agression? And if Tsunade is right, why would they need to gather strength so fast?" Jiraiya pondered.

The council wondered silently at this question. They would need to profile the Raikage perfectly if they were to take any decision on the Kumo alliance.

Naruto thought deeply. He had been the very first Kage, and he tried to put himself in the Raikage's shoes. If he were Kumo's Kage, what would he do?

The answer came to him naturally, decades of leading Konoha coming to the forefront.

"I think…" Naruto said loudly, causing the council members to look his way. "I think the Raikage does not want to make any alliances under threat of another nation's power. Konoha is very strong right now, and Kumo frantically making alliances would reek of weakness. That would be very bad for their business. Making a non-aggression pact, however, undermines them in no way especially when Hiruzen was the one that initiated it."

Tsunade's face lit up in comprehension. "Of course, only after gathering power as best as he can will the Raikage be ready for an alliance. He won't compromise Kumo's business at any cost. Allying out of fear with our village will lose them their clientele…"