holy rupaul, take the wheel

MRS KEERY'S VOICE ZOOMS TOWARDS Giovanni and when he thinks it's about time this class finally enters his head, it makes a V-turn straight into his left ear and comes out of the right ear. In short, his tuition fees is burning in whatever government bank account it is in right now but his parents are too well to care.

Pink nails tap his desk, arrhythmically, he also chews inside his cheek, trying to shove his attention back into his body but it's yet another failed attempt.

Chemistry probably is vaguest and most not-straightforward thing he's ever encountered in his life. After philosophy, that is, but at least he loves the latter. There's something fancy about spewing metaphysical jargon that makes him seem so smart. Not chemistry though; he really doubts knowing oxygen has eight atoms will help his future in any way.

Plus there's something else making this class uncomfortable for him. Gio peeks from the corner of his eye and there's it again.

Last time he checked, his forehead is neither big as Bruce's nor is it the whiteboard. Then why is Khalid staring him down like that?

Gio has to touch his face incase the boy is really staring superman laser beam thingies into his skull because there's just no way.

It's this guilty look but also as if he's trying to tell him something? What can possibly be Gio's business with jocks? Especially a background comic-relief character like Khalid.

Gio tries to ignore this but when he realizes he can't handle it another five seconds, he spins in his seat. "Do we have a problem? -- in the tone hushed but emphatic enough for the other boy to know he's creeping him out.

"Price, do you have anything?" Gio jumps and turns to face the teacher. "Anything that you and Khalid might want to share with the class?" She eyes them both suspiciously.

"Um wait. Sorry. I was just, you know, zoning out and shit--" Gio winces at himself cursing.

"Zoning off?" Her face is red now so quick. "So in other words, my class is boring. Chemistry is boring. I am boring."

Gio blinks. "Huh, no?"

"Detention."

"Wait, that's not fair. I didn't--"

"2 days."

"What now--are you kidding me?"

"3 days."

"I--"

"4 days."

Gio's next syllable screeches into a stop in his throat. As much as he wants to curse her out that she explodes and runs out of the class with her tail between her legs.

Damn Mrs Keery and her crazy class control.

Besides, arguing isn't exactly on his plate at the moment. A terrible hangover is gnawing at his brainstem and no amount of Advil will knock it out of his system.

He takes a deep breath, his upper limb twitching but he keeps being classy.

That's when some unlucky blockhead bursts in short laughter that was unfortunately not short enough.

"Ma, I'm so sorry--"

"Dorian, detention."

This is just in time for the closing bell to ring and the students disappear from the class in a matter of seconds. All except for the latest detentionaires.

"Ninety minutes. No leaving the classroom. No bathroom breaks. Live with your regrets."

Gio groans out loud. "What if my bladder bursts?"