My Girl

Adella couldn't wait to spread news of her engagement. Of course one of the first people she told was Emily, her dad, and cousin. The couple decided to have their wedding toward the end of spring so naturally, everyone in town will be helping out and her family is coming into town to see harmonious occasion.

The pair took time out of their busy schedules to meet them at the bus stop. Adella was thrilled to see her dad and young cousin after all this time. While Harvey is expressing the complete opposite emotion. He's never met her father before and he is petrified that he won't approve of him.

He shifts his weight on his feet, anxiously waiting for the bus to arrive. She sees him tug at his collar and tie before taking his hand to calm him down.

"Your hand is so sweaty." Adella comments and Harvey gets more flustered.

"Sorry..." He apologizes and frantically wipes his hands on his pants, "I've never met your dad before, what if he doesn't like me?"

Adella took his hand again and squeezed it tightly, "I can guarantee you, honey that he'll love you." She leans up to kiss his cheek, "Loosen up a bit, everything will be fine."

"I am. I am loose," Harvey stammers fidgeting more, "I am as loose as they come."

She giggles holding onto his arm, "Try to relax. He's heard great things about you." The farmer tries to calm him.

Admittedly, he does calm as he sees a bus approach them, "You know, nothing ever good happened in history when someone was asked to calm down."

The bus come to stop before letting out a hiss to allow the visitors off. An older man, who definitely looks like a dad, and a young woman about Adella's age or younger dressed in all black minus a red checkered flannel greet them with bags in hand.

"Hey there sweet pea! Come give your old man a hug!" Jack smiles and hugs his daughter tightly lifting her feet off the ground.

"It's so good to finally see you guys again!" Adella beamed as she hugs Marceline, "I see you finally got a new piercing?" She comments on her new septum piercing.

"Do you like it? It doesn't look stupid, right?" Marceline presses messing with her dark red hair.

"I think it looks beautiful, Marci." She smiles, "Oh! Dad, Marci, I think it's about time I finally introduce you two to my fiancé, Dr. Harvey Abbott."

He let out a deep breath to calm himself down, "It's nice to finally meet—!" He held his hand out for a hand shake but Jack pulls him into a hug.

It took Harvey a minute to register what's going on then fully commits to hugging his soon-to-be father-in-law.

"You don't have to be so formal, son." Jack grinned with a laugh, "We're gonna be family, aren't we?"

Harvey relaxed more and looked at the two ladies, "Nice to meet you too, Marci." He waved at her after being released.

"Likewise." She shyly smiles back.

"C'mon, let's get you guys settled in." Adella took her dad's luggage and started to lead them back to the farm.

Jack commented on how nothing seemed to changed since he was last in the valley. He definitely was impressed on his daughter's progress with the farm. Her grandfather would be really proud if he could see it now.

They all step into the house and greeted by a barking Demeter, excited to meet the new visitors. "We've heard so much about you too, Demeter." Jack grins patting the dog.

"Alright," Adella let out a sigh as she set Jack's bag down, "Honey, can you show them where they'll be staying? I have to finish taking care of the animals." She asks the doctor.

"Certainly." He agreed then she kissed him as a thanks before stepping out of the house, "Mr. Barnes, if you'll follow me." Harvey stated taking his luggage.

"Please, call me Jack." He offered following him to the guest room.

"Okay then, Jack." Harvey smiled as they head down some stairs.

He told where the bathroom was and where to find extra blankets and pillows if he needed them before heading back to the living room finding Marceline gazing at the pictures on the wall. She got spooked when he called out to her.

"Sorry... I didn't hear you come back." Marceline apologized.

"I scare Adella all the time whenever she's working if Demeter doesn't give me away." He explained with a slight chuckle, "Mind if I take your bag?"

"Sure." She lets him take and follows him up to there den, "Adella was right." She thought out loud.

"Right about what?"

"You being such a gentleman."

Harvey bashful smiled feeling his face get warmer. "I'm just being hospitable." Harvey explained fetching pillows and blankets from a closet. "Bathroom is downstairs, and if you need more blankets or pillows, you can get them that closet." He repeats what he told Jack, "Also, we're ordering pizza for dinner. Adella's idea, but if you want something specific on it let us know, alright?"

"Okay," Marci nods, "Thank you."

-<~***~>-

The sun began to set, filling the sky with reds and yellows as it fell over the mountains. They all had their fill of pepperoni and cheese pizza before retiring early to bed to get a full night's rest. Everyday now up until the wedding is going to be busy for everyone involved.

Adella walks into their bedroom after her shower and starts patting her hair dry with a towel. She looks through the mirror seeing Harvey in bed reading what looked like to her a medical journal or something.

"Should I dye my hair back to its natural color for the wedding?" She asks not turning to face him, "I think the roots are starting to show."

Without looking up he responds, "I've only known you with blue hair and to be fair, I probably wouldn't recognize you if you dyed it back."

"I didn't even think about that," Adella gasped at the realization, "Yeah, I'll probably keep it blue and just touch it up closer to the wedding." She confirms out loud crawling into bed next to him.

"Glad you made up your mind, dear." Harvey comments with his nose still buried in his book.

She adjusts herself so she is directly facing him and places a finger under his chin, "Harvey..." Adella sultry coos pulling his attention away from his book.

"Hm?" His next thought was interrupted by her kissing him by surprise.

Before things went further, she pulls away and giggles softly, "You are such a dweeb sometimes."

Confused by her actions leading up to her statement, Harvey couldn't find a good starting point to ask questions, "I'm sorry?"

Adella giggles more, "You were so worried that my dad won't like you." She mentions.

He sets the book down as his face flushes red from embarrassment, "I had the right to be nervous, okay! I wanted to make a good impression." He confessed then continues, "It's not everyday I'm marrying the woman of my dreams and having to meet her family."

She smiles bashfully letting out an audible 'awe.' The farmer leans in cupping his face kissing him more passionately than before, "He considers you family, so you were worried about nothing."

"I'm thankful for it," Harvey professes then notices the time, "We better get to sleep, big day of planning tomorrow." He turns off the lamp and rests fully onto his pillow.

"Yeah," Adella sighs lying down beside him, "Good night, babe."

"Good night, honey." He pulls her close to him.