Laces & Pearls

As soon as Harvey left for work, Jack tore through his parents' belongings to find his mother's wedding dress. The two women 'helped' by looking through their old photos getting inspired for Adella's pictures.

"You look so much like grandpa, dad." Adella commented, "You even styled it the same way."

"That's what happens when you're in a military family." Jack responded looking through another dusty box.

"Grandpa served?" Both ladies questioned in unison.

"How did you think he got his limp?" He asked surprised they didn't figure it before, "A grenade went off and bits of shrapnel got stuck in his leg and they sent him home."

"Well damn." Adella sighed as she continued to looking the pictures. They all heard a knock from the front door, "It's open!" She calls out knowing it's Emily with her sewing kit, "We're up here!"

Emily followed the sound of her voice upstairs as Jack finds the dress, "Hello everyone!" She beamed walking into the room.

Adella quickly introduced her to the family before taking the dress out to see what condition it is in.

It definitely yellowed with age, and it was evident that her grandparents' wedding was held outdoors from the dirt on the bottom of the dress.

"It definitely needs some TLC." Emily stated as she examines it for any holes.

"It definitely needs to be updated." Adella comments grimacing at the long puffy sleeves.

"It may be old fashioned, but it still has a lot of charm." She mentions admiring the lace, "I can guarantee you after I'm finished with it, it'll look gorgeous!" Emily grins excitedly taking it off the hanger, "Let's try it on so I can start marking it."

Jack stepped out so Marceline and Emily can help her into the dress. As they adjust it, Emily giggles getting all excited for her best friend. Her dad comes back in once's she's dressed and smiles seeing his little girl in his mother's dress.

"Now you're starting to look like grandma," He chuckles, "Minus the blue hair."

"She would look cool with blue hair, though." Adella added watching Emily work in the mirror, "Hey Em, if it's possible can you remove the lace turtleneck and the sleeves? I don't wanna be itching all day."

"Yeah!" She affirms finishing up the skirt, "You wanna get rid of the sleeve entirely?"

"No, I just don't want them to be this long and puffy." The farmer pats down on the shoulder part.

"I can probably make them sheer," Emily said thinking out loud, "Maybe add some of the lace back..." She placed pins as she got inspired, "I can ask Jodi if she can clean it cause I do not trust myself, especially with all this beautiful lace. She managed to get out a massive juice stain off of Haley's Flower Dance dress one year and it looked good as new!"

"I definitely trust you to do whatever needs to be done to this to make it the best day ever, and I can't thank you enough." Adella smiles at her but didn't risk hugging her in case she poked her with a pin.

"Of course!" She sang, "I've always dreamed about doing something like this when I started teaching myself how to sew." Emily grins and started gathering up her things.

Adella gets out of the dress and back into her overalls and helps Emily pack the dress up so she can take it to Jodi's. She would have to own her big time if she can get it white again. But that'll be for when the dress is done, now she's got to focus on everything else.

-<~***~>-

A week goes by and Emily has finished the alterations to her dress. She couldn't wait to see how it turned but it would have to wait because she's running late to meet Harvey and Jack at the saloon to pick out the food for the reception. Marceline agreed to stay home since she wanted to read an interesting book she found in the bookcase.

"Jodi's son Sam is stopping by to drop off the dress," Adella told Marci as she put on her boots, "There's a basket of vegetables for him to take back, and I'll be back later maybe around dinner time but help yourself if you get hungry." She tells her before leaving the house.

Marceline starts reading her book to kill time till this Sam comes over. Even though she wanted to stay at the house and relax for a bit from all the wedding business, but she really didn't want to answer the door to anybody. It wasn't because she hated people, but she was one of those kids growing up that hid whenever someone rang the doorbell or knock on the door. And she still does it as a young adult.

Being complete engrossed with her reading, Marci leapt out of her skin hearing the sound she dreaded the most. She gets up to answer it trying to calm herself down so she wouldn't look like a spazz.

"Hello?" She shyly called out then felt a lump caught in her throat seeing a freaking cute blond standing on the porch.

"Hey! My mom wanted me to drop off this dress for Adella. Is she home?" Sam smiles at her holding the dress bag.

Words were escaping her. She couldn't keep gawking at wondering how his hair is defying gravity, "Uh... she's not— she's gone." Her face turns a bright shade of red as she realized she wasn't breathing.

To end the torment she sticks her arms to take the dress, "I'll take the vegetables off your hands."

Sam furrows his brows confused before she blurted out again.

"I mean! I have a dress to give you!" Marci's eyes widen realizing she messed up again, "Shit, I'm so sorry!" She covers her mouth wanting Yoba to just kill her now.

"I'll give you the dress," He starts, "And you'll give me the vegetables. How does that sound?"

Marci nods and goes back inside the grab the basket and trade their items, "Again, I'm so sorry."

"Don't sweat it," He smiles in a way to let her know he wasn't weirded out, "I'm Sam by the way."

"Marci..." His smile was killing her. She didn't think she could fall for someone based off their smile, but it was one of the things about him that she absolutely adored about him.

"Nice to meet you, Marci. I'll see you around then." He waves before leaving the farm.

Marceline slowly closed the door watching him walk back into town. She hung the dress up before curling up on the couch screaming into a throw pillow.