Chapter 1 - A New Beginning

Days before the return:

—————- Lady Whistledown's ——————
Society papers

Dearest readers,

The new season has begun and one lady must catch the wicked eye of our precious Queen. Will she pick the right debutante to test out the first waters?

Let us all hope for her sake.

It seems I have a rather exciting announcement. The return of old residents will make a winsome appearance in merely a couple of days, leaving behind what your author heard to be a tragic death. However, the Harrington's will need the warmest of welcomes or perhaps a marriage to save them from these unpleasing times.

Esteemed members of the ton, I insist you grab a chair for this season is to be the most chaotic of them all.

Yours truly, Lady Whistledown.

——————————————————————————-

A door opened to Emma's chamber. Light pierced through the white-pinkish room, practically burning her flesh. The curtains opened wider before a pair of feet walked over to her. An aggressive moan escaped her lips as she moved the silky pillow over her face to block out the sun.

"Miss Harrington, it's quite late for you to be sleeping." Her maid claimed while poking at Emma's forearm. Emma flipped over to the other side of the bed and moved the pillow from her face. She sat up, blinking her eyes for a moment. After a few minutes, she could make out the shape of a woman. The clear vision didn't last for long since the brightness was too much to bear, causing her eyes to keep shutting. She grunted before putting a hand over her eyebrows to move the beam of light from her sight.

"Mrs. Beth, I apologize for my laziness today, but please give me a moment to wake up for the sun is blinding me!" Emma grumbled. Beth paused before fixing the bed and processed the attitude that was thrown at her.

"The only thing you will need to apologize for is the tone you are giving me. I ought to slap the freckles off your face." Beth scolded, ripping the sheets off of Emma and folding them.

Emma threw a hand over her mouth and gave a loud gasp.

"Mrs. Lynn, has anyone told you how scary you are? Truly my bones are trembling." Emma jeered, letting out a snort from laughing too hard.

"Haha, very funny my dear. Now get up so I can make your bed. I shall give you word that you have a ball to attend to today." Beth instructed while laying out a gown and accessories on the silver vanity.

"A BALL?" Emma shouted as she was stunned to receive such news. She moved to the edge of the mattress and glanced at the dress.

"Yes, Miss Harrington. Also, you are to accompany your sister to see the Queen today. She's a new debutante of the season, she shall make a beautiful diamond." Beth continued ranting about the plans of the day.

"Mrs. Beth? Did I hear that right?" Emma sat there in dismay. The blonde maid sighed with frustration.

"If I thought you were a baby still, I would define the words." Beth joked. Emma hopped off the bed and ran to the layout of the outfit. The room spun from getting up to fast, making her dizzy.

She stared at the dresses possessing qualities. The way it shimmered from the diffused lighting made a sugary feeling inside her heart. It was absolutely gorgeous and too perfect to be seen on such a petite frame like hers. She ran her hand across the soft fabric, everything about it screamed a new start for the social season. She couldn't take her eyes off the detailed designs until the sound of rhythmic clicking from footsteps approached the doorway. Emma turned in that direction and saw her mother walk in.