Chapter 29

TW: Quick warning, violence in this chapter

Her voice was loud and clear, but Marinette wasn't focused on that. A familiar, sickening, aura sent chills down her spine.

"Hawkmoth." She whispered.

————————————————————

Dusk peered over the clouds, the last rays of sunshine filtered through the bedroom's window. It was silent in said bedroom, the only noise being that of a person typing away on the computer.

"And that's me finished!" Alya exclaimed, saving the document once more time, removing her glasses to rub her red eyes, Chloe peered over the girl's shoulder, setting her phone aside, humming while doing so.

The blonde's eyes quickly skimmed over the computer pixels, nodding every once in a while. "I'll just read through it one more time and-" A notification on her phone cut the girl off. She sighed, reached over and opened it, not bothering to read the notification itself. "Who's messaging me?" She wondered out loud, unlocking her phone. Her annoyed expression soon turned to a surprised one, then a worrisome one. "Oh." She put simply.

Alya, now confused, swiveled around in the desk chair, standing up to sit next to the blonde on the sofa. "What is it?" She had asked. In response, Chloe handed Alya her phone. She blinked at the girl before looking down at it. On the blonde's screen was a worried Nadja Chamack, in front of something very large. Something opaque and... green?

"Hawkmoth's back." Chloe murmured to the girl, turning to look at her. Sensing something wrong, Pollen and Trixx floated towards their owners. The two kwamis were then frozen in silent shock as they watched the colourful piece of technology. The room was almost silent again, the disturbance being Nadja's report in desperate French.

"This is not good..." Alya muttered after a moment, meeting Chloe's blue-eyed gaze. "Marinette will not be happy, at all." The girl took her glasses off and rubbed her eyes for the second time.

At first Chloe didn't say anything, instead choosing to be silent as if she were debating on what to say. But the thoughtfulness didn't last long. "Well what are we doing just standing here?" The blonde stood up straighter, her kwami buzzing with admiration. Alya nodded, her smile being one of determination. Trixx then floated up to her owner's height, giggling with excitement. Before either of them could call upon their transformations, a roaring commotion echoed through the hotel walls. Chloe stepped towards the door, pressing her ear against it. "What is-" She froze, a few faint words barely audible over the shouts reached her ears. Chloe slowly turned over to where Alya was, her expression unreadable. "What was Nadja saying?"

Alya sent her a confused look, blinking twice. "All she mentioned was an akuma. I- I'll check again." The girl pulled out her own phone, searching through it to find the broadcast. But all she found was static "Whatever it was, it's got her and her camera crew." Alya pursed her lips together, once again looking back up at Chloe.

The blonde hummed. "The noise outside is people screaming and scrambling on top of each other." Chloe's gaze lingered on the door, her face hardened as the voices kept getting more frantic. "They keep yelling about some gas."

Alya sharply inhaled, her eyes closed. "Well-" She opened her eyes. "-let's go see this for ourselves, shall we?" Chloe nodded, a mischievous smile crawling onto her face. Alya glanced over at her kwami. "Trixx, Let's Pounce!" An orange light swirled around her, almost blinding.

At the same time, Chloe did the same. "Pollen, Buzz On!" The light created was similar but instead in shades of bright yellow. Their transformations filled the room with a colourful display, quickly subsiding to show the heroes within. Opening her eyes, Honey Bee reached for the spinning top at her waist, intwining the string between her fingers. "We'll need a better view." Rena Rouge nodded and opened the bedroom's balcony door. The fox hero jumped onto the hotel roof while Honey Bee followed closely behind, with aid of her spinning top. With the hotel now safely under their feet, the two heroes turned to face the city, only to feel horrified as their eyes watched the display.