18

Brynlee woke the next morning rather early

Brynlee woke the next morning rather early. She slipped from her room and went outside to the gardens. Perhaps she could have a thought to herself in such a tranquil area. She took her gloves off and trailed her finger along the petals. Instead of her usual high collar, she wore a lower collar that revealed her upper breasts. The color was a soft pink with red accents to it. Her hair was braided from when she slept.

It was nice to be alone. This allowed her to sit and muddle through her thoughts on the viscount. Just the thought of doing it felt daunting and she wanted to put it off, but it was hard to avoid. She swallowed painfully. There was a lump in her throat so large that she almost could not breathe. One thing she did know. She was starting to enjoy being around Anthony, even with the bickering. This entire trip was just a reminder of the feelings she had for him as a child. It was far too much for her to handle. Especially because she knew that he was courting her cousin.

Perhaps he could make Aspen happy.

All Brynlee did was release another long and weary sigh. How come her heart was aching like this?

"My goodness-" Anthony's voice suddenly filled her ears, "You sound serious."

Brynlee abruptly stood up from the stone bench and twisted around. Her legs knocked into the edge and caused her to stumble, "My lord-"

"I thought I might find you here."

Her eyes widened in surprise because he had sought her out. She could feel her heart beating in her chest and she opened and closed her hands.

"Actually, I saw you from my window." He admitted, "A young lady should not be alone."

"Right." Brynlee exhaled, somehow disappointed, "My lord, I believe there is something I need to say."

"I gathered."

Brynlee rolled her eyes, "I am being serious, my lord."

"It's Anthony."

"Anthony." She repeated back to him, "I just... I withdraw my objections to your suit of Aspen."

Anthony stared, oddly feeling hollow, "I see..."

"I think it is rather unfair of me to continue to object because you have proven that you would take care of her in the way that she would need." Brynlee told him as she breathed in deeply.

She was giving him what. Brynlee essentially gave him her blessing and he was just standing here. Feeling hollow. Aspen could be wed to him within the next week if he wished. So why was he fighting the desire to hold Brynlee close to him. There was a spark. A spark that he did not want. So he resisted his urge to kiss her until she was gasping for breath.

"I am relieved."

Brynlee gave him a weak smile, "I thought you might say that."

"Brynlee, I-" Anthony stopped. He felt his entire body go rigid as he stared at a small bee that landed on her collar. A shoot of pure terror shot through him, "Don't move."