20

Daphne stepped into Anthony's office, "Brother

Daphne stepped into Anthony's office, "Brother."

Slipping his watch away, Antony greeted her, "Sister."

She tentatively walked further into the office, "Mama has her ball all set for you."

"Just her?" He teased as he continued to go through his paperwork, "Are you to tell me you have had no hand in it?"

"Well, we have both been planning, certainly." Daphne informed in before she stopped at the edge of his desk, "So you plan to wed Brynlee?"

"I do." Anthony glanced up at her, "Is there something you wish to say to me?"

"You have never once mentioned wedding Brynlee." Daphne paced just a little bit as she played with her hands. Watching as Anthony moved back to his work, "In fact, you had invited her family here to court her cousin, Miss Aspen. For many years there has been quite animosity between you and Brynlee-"

"I sure miss his Grace." Anthony murmured, "In the Duke's absence, you've become quite meddlesome, have you not? Do not concern yourself."

Daphne watched as he finished his drink and stood up, "Brynlee is my friend." She finally mustered the courage to say, stopping him before he could leave, "And you are my brother."

Anthony said nothing to this but he did look back at Daphne, who had turned to face him. He shut his eyes before he left his office with Daphne standing alone inside.

All Daphne did was release a long sigh before she finally left as well.

As soon as the evening came, the entire ballroom was bustling with music and conversation. Brynlee stepped into the room with her cousin, brother, and mother. A wave of nerves hit her because she knew that soon the entire ton would know of the engagement.

"Do not faint." Kaden teased.

Aspen nudged him, "Do not bother her like that."

Kaden rolled his eyes but stopped as soon as the Sharmas walked inside. He cleared his throat before approaching, "Miss Edwina, would you do me the honor of giving me your first dance?"

"Certainly."

Aspen raised her brows and looked directly at Brynlee, "Seems he has truly taken a liking."

Brynlee just nodded her head as she walked down the steps with Aspen. She had seen Anthony but purposefully managed to slip away quickly.

Aspen had been the one to notice before she finally hunted Lord Bridgerton down herself, "My lord, do you not think it is appropriate to invite my cousin onto the dance floor today? Before the announcement?"

"It is highly appropriate, Miss Aspen." Anthony informed her, he eyed her for a moment, "You are not upset?"

"Why would I be?" She offered to him with her head tilted. "I am incredibly happy for Brynlee."