Birthday Party

9 years ago...

Ever since I had reunited with Rui and met his group of friends, I found that I enjoyed being around him. Every other weekend, mom would take me to visit and hang out with F4 and Rui, if time permitted. Despite the many times, I saw Ren, I've never met his father. Whenever I tried to ask Ren about his father, he'd be detached or sad from the question. So, I rarely asked. Perhaps, with Ren's birthday coming up tomorrow, I'll get to meet him.

A knock sounds on my door, I look up from my notebook and say, "Come in."

Auntie Cel enters, holding a clear plastic box filled with sewing items. 

She softly closed my door and asked, "What do you need to stitch, Ms. Nova?" I walked to my closet and took out a plain cardboard box where Bear sat inside. When Ren gave it to me a month ago, I kept it in this box so, Bear couldn't be hurt again. I walked out of the closet with the box in my hands and carefully set it on my bed. Auntie Cel looks at me and asks, "May I?"

"Go ahead. Please be careful!" I said.

She smiles and carefully carries Bear out of the box, I watched nervously, chewing on my thumb's fingernail as she set him on the bed. Auntie Cel takes out a silver needle and successfully threads the needle. I watched nervously as the needle goes for Bear's torn shoulder. She looks at me, "Ready?"

I nodded and watched as she threads the arm, attaching it back to the shoulder. She went quite fast, by the time a minute passed, Bear was good as new. She hands me the stuffed toy, and I look at her in amazement, "How did you do that so fast?"

She chuckles as she puts the items back into the plastic box, "I've been stitching and sewing for years, Ms. Nova. I always mended your torn clothes too." She bumps my nose with her index finger as she takes the box and walks out of my room. I looked down at Bear, excited to see what Ren would think. I hope he likes this.

Then, another knock comes at my door. "Come in," I say. Dad pops in, wearing a beanie and his pajamas. I put Bear back into the box and set it on the floor. I asked, "What brings you here, dad?"

He sits next to me and gives me my guitar from the stand, "Aren't you playing at Ren's birthday party? We should practice for tomorrow."

"Don't you want to rest?" I asked. He rubs my hair as he says, "I've done enough resting Ara. Come on, let me see your progress."

I smiled and positioned the guitar over my lap. I strummed to the happy birthday song while singing at the same time. When I finished, I opened my eyes to see dad was watching intently at my small performance. I hid my face behind my bangs and shyly asked, "What do you think?"

Dad sniffled and brushed my hair off my face, "You did great sweetie. You won't need my guidance anymore." I smiled at him as he slapped his palms against his thighs. "You should get some sleep. You have a party to go to tomorrow." I set my guitar down and watched him walk to my door. Before he turns the knob, I stop him, "Dad." He turns to face me.

"I do need you," I said as I sadly looked at him. He goes to stand in front of me and bends down to kiss my forehead. He brings my face to look up at him and says, "Thank you for saying that. Let me tuck you in." I stood from my bed as dad moved my guitar and put it on a stand next to my bedside. I remove the covers and settle underneath them, and he drapes the blanket over me, sitting next to me.

"I want you to know that I will always be behind you every step of the way. Even if you can't see me. Alright?"

I nodded as he delivered another kiss on my forehead, and he turned off my lamp. He pats my hand and says, "Good night, I love you."