Chapter 5: Add A Little Bit Of ✨Spice✨

"Y/n! We got a surprise for you!" Eugene said, walking in on Rapunzel and I painting our nails.
"Who's we?" I asked, blowing on my nails.
"We're we!" Varian happily said, poking his head from behind Eugene's back.
It's been a few months since Rapunzel and I's conversation about Varian. So far, nothing has changed.
My heart rate immediately quickened as soon as I saw Varian's face. Everyday I'm grateful that Varian invented the potion for my feelings or else this would have gotten worse. Rapunzel put her hand on mine, smiling.
"You up for getting up?" I looked towards Rapunzel.
"While we're already so comfortable? But why?" Rapunzel grinned.
"C'mon, you'll love it!" Varian said, walking in.
"I meannnnnnn, I guess." I sarcastically groaned, getting up from my comfortable position.
Rapunzel followed soon after, Eugene leading our way.
We make it to the dining room only to find various foods and desserts placed on the table.
"What's all of this?" I asked, a smile forming on my lips.
"Varian and I realized that you've never tried some of the best foods in the world! So we had the chefs' make you an array of things that we thought you may like." Eugene said with victory.
"Yep, all of it, things we thought you'd like." Varian nearly snickered, bumping fists with Eugene.
"What are you two planning?" Rapunzel eyed the two as her and I sat down.
"Nothing, nothing. We'll be your servers today." Eugene assured, grabbing the first dish.
"This is a brownie. It's a dessert and it's really good." Varian said, grabbing a square off the plate and eating one himself.
I hesitantly took a bite but I ate the rest a few seconds later.
"Wow, that is really good!" I smiled, agreeing happily.
Varian and Eugene continued to shower us with different foods and desserts.
Crème brûlée, chicken noodle soup, ramen, spaghetti, mashed potatoes, macrons, ice cream, and more.
"Man, I'm stuffed." Rapunzel sighed contently.
"Well, save your appetite for one more dish to try!" Varian said, dramatically reveling the final dish.
"What's this one called?" I asked.
"Chili with a twist." Eugene responded, stifling his laughter.
"What kind of twist?" Rapunzel asked as I took a bite.
"Jalapeños." Eugene replied.
"What?!" Rapunzel shouted, smacking my spoon away.
But it was too late, I had already taken a bite and the effects were fast.
"Wow umm, what is this taste?" I gasped, fanning my mouth.
"Don't worry, it's not that spicy. We only added two tablespoons. Right Eugene?" Varian said, his smile wavering when Eugene didn't respond.
"Right Eugene?!" Varian said, his voice laced with worry.
"Are you sure the recipe said two tablespoons? I put in two cups." Eugene said sheepishly.
"TWO CUPS?!" Rapunzel gasped, looking at my face which was growing red.
"It's so hot!" I panted.
"I'll get milk, you two stay here!" Rapunzel ordered, rushing to the kitchen.
"Now that you say it, it is getting kind of hot in here." Eugene noted, fanning himself.
"Yeah, but it can't be that hot in here. It's fall," Varian pointed out, his breaths coming in short pants.
"Hey Y/n, did you take your potion today? You're supposed to take it once on Monday every two weeks, remember?!" Varian said, fanning his mouth.
"Um, uh- I-." I tried to think, but the spice was so overwhelming.
"Uh oh." Eugene said, waving frantically at his mouth.
"Hot, HOT IT'S SO HOT." Eugene exclaimed, pacing around the room.
"This is your fault you know! I said two TABLESPOONS not CUPS." Varian shouted, rubbing his tongue back and forth on his teeth as if that would take away the imaginary spice they were feeling.
Rapunzel rushed back in, only to stop mid way.
"Why's it so hot in here?" Rapunzel said, taking a sip of the milk.
"Give it to me!" Eugene yelled, running for the milk.
"YOU SELFISH TRICKSTER, IT'S MINE!" I shouted, leaping from my seat.
Rapunzel ran away and towards the kitchen with all of us following behind her.
As soon as we made it in, I ran towards the cooler, shoving the milk to my lips and taking big gulps.
I sighed, "whew, who knew milk was the cure for spice?"
"Outta my way!" Eugene said, grabbing the milk from me and taking a few gulps himself.
Varian sat behind with Rapunzel, each of them taking turns wiping off the edge of the cup then sipping from it.
I switched from milk to water, taking cautious gulps. Glaring at the two boys in the room.

~Later In Y/n's Room~

"We're sorry Y/n, we shouldn't have pranked you." Varian apologized.
"We shouldn't have?" Eugene asked.
Rapunzel elbowed him in the gut.
"Yes, yes, we're sorry...ouch." Eugene said, rubbing his arm, guiltily.
"I guess there is only one way to make this up to me." I said, hugging my pillow.
"What way would that be?" Eugene asked, only to be met with a pillow to his face.
"War." I whispered, grabbing another pillow and smacking it across Varian's face.
Varian's guilty face turned into a devilish grin.
"Oh it's on." He responded, grabbing a pillow and hoisting Eugene from his fallen state.
Rapunzel and I formed an alliance with Eugene and Varian having formed their own.
"ATTACK!" Rapunzel exclaimed, hitting her pillow at her boyfriend.
"ATTACK!" Eugene shouted back, defending himself.
Varian and I were face to face, our attacks overly dramatic and sloppy.
Eventually Cassandra walked in after hearing so much commotion from outside.
"What is going on?!" She yelled amongst the chaos.
We all stopped in our tracks, looking at her.
"Attack?" I asked.
"Attack." Varian agreed.
We all ran for Cassandra, Cassandra yelping and shutting the door.
We all ran into the door, piling on top of each other.
We rumbled with laughter.
"That was fun!" I said, hugging my stomach.
"Just please, never prank us like that again. I never knew spice could hurt without even tasting it!" Rapunzel said, placing her pillow neatly back on the bed.
"Noted." Varian smiled, placing his pillow back on the bed as well.
Something out of the corner of my eye flashed, peaking my interest. I walked towards the balcony only to be met with a rock spiked through the side of it.
"What is that?!" I back away.
"They're spreading..." Varian gasped, touching the tip of the rock with his gloved hand.
"You knew about this?" Rapunzel asked, pacing a gentle hand on Varian's shoulder.
"My father went to ask the King, but King Frederic didn't want to cause panic and didn't do anything. But now they're spreading." Varian said, fear itching at his throat.
"It'll be ok Varian, I'll talk to my father. This will all get better soon." Rapunzel assured, squeezing his shoulder.
"Yeah, you're right. In the mean time, I'll experiment on them. I'll try to find a way to stop them, then we can meet up again and come up with a plan to neutralize them once and for all!" Varian's eyes lit up.
"Great idea kid!" Eugene ruffled Varian's hair.
Varian smiled, which made me smile.
"I'll walk you out Varian." I offered, stepping over the mess of blankets and other pillows.
"Bye you guys!" Varian waved as we closed the door.
Rapunzel and Eugene waved as Varian and I walked down the hall.
We walked outside and were met with the coolness that the weather was turning into.
"I think I've decided that fall is my favorite season." I said, breathing in the fresh air.
"You haven't even experienced the other three seasons our world has to offer!" Varian laughed.
"Eh." I shrugged, laughing along with him.
We reached the steps which have become where Varian and I would normally say goodbye.
I started hating our goodbyes.
"Bye Y/n." Varian said, giving me a goodbye hug as always.
"Bye Var." I said, resting my head on his shoulder.
Our faces parted but our arms were still wrapped around each other.
My face must've looked like a tomato, our faces were too close to one another.
My heart was pounding, my mind was racing, I was all of the sudden very thirsty.
"Uh Y/n?" Varian asked, not letting his arms stray away from my back.
"Yeah?" I asked.
Varian leaned in closer, his voice barely above a whisper.
"You still haven't taken your potion yet, have you?"
My eyes widened at the realization, we were just so busy with the food and the pillow fighting, I had completely forgotten it was still sitting on my nightstand.
Varian quickly kissed my cheek, chuckling.
"Bye Y/n." Varian said, letting go and walking down the steps.
I placed my hand on the cheek he kissed, my face growing redder.
"B-bye Varian!" I managed to get out when he finally reached the last step.
He turned around one last time and waved, I waved back.
If I didn't know any better, I think he was blushing too.
I walked back upstairs and into my room, Rapunzel and Eugene still on my bed, snoozing.
I kissed both of their foreheads, turning off the lamps and placing my blanket on them. I closed the balcony doors and smiled excitedly to myself.
He liked me back.

Thank you guys for reading!
Please let me know if I made any mistakes!
Have a blessed day/morning/night!<3