Chapter 10: Ready As I'll Ever Be

A part in this chapter was suggested by @VarianWolf
We conversed then me and my co-writer and chief conversed and I'm really happy with how this chapter turned out!
Ready as I'll ever be is in this song! (If you couldn't already tell by the title, lol)

At first I didn't know what was happening when I woke up.
"Did I fall asleep?" I wondered.
I must have, because when I woke up, I saw Arianna chained across the room.
"Arianna?" I whispered, terrified. What on earth was she doing here?
"Y/n! You're ok, we were so worried about you." Arianna replied. She was chained just like I was, only her ankle was where her chain was cuffed on. While for me it was my wrists. Was this what Varian said he was gonna do?
"I don't know why the worrying stopped!" I nearly exclaimed.
I didn't want to raise my voice in case Varian was near by.
"I wouldn't bother worrying about whispering, there's nothing you can't say that I won't eventually find out." Varian announced.
He was wearing his goggles again, a hammer in his hand. He was on a ladder working on a uh- a robot?
"What is that?!" I gasped, looking up at him.
"Another little invention of mine. The Atomaton." Varian grinned, sliding down the ladder and in front of me.
"When will it be enough? Let me help you!" I pleaded.
"It's not enough, until everybody endures the same amount of pain and agony I have!" Varian seethed.
"It won't ever be enough! You'll keep digging for more until eventually you're too far in and can't climb out!" I begged for him to listen.
"What a stupid analogy..." Varian mumbled, turning around and walking back to his machine.
I was more than offended now, I was borderline angry.
"Listen to me-!"
"Listen Main Character Syndrome! I'm going through with this whether you like it or not! Get used to it!" Varian shouted, waving his hammer in my direction.
That struck a nerve, ouch.
I gave up, I closed my eyes and looked back down.
"Y/n-..." I heard Varian start, but then he stopped. I heard the banging and movement of tools on machinery. He gave up too.
I heard chains clinking, I opened my eyes and saw Arianna trying to reach me.
"Y/n, he's torn. You know he didn't mean those things." Arianna tried to comfort.
"But why did he say them in the first place, I did nothing wrong. All I ever did was love him." I whispered back, letting a few stray tears fall down my face.
"What he said was wrong, but as soon as Rapunzel defeats him, we'll get him the help he needs. I promise." Arianna assured.
I tried to smile, but my smile was weak and fake.
"Any moment now! Your highnesses..." Varian sneered.
"Believe me, I know...I've sunk very low. But whatever I've done, you've deserved." Varian sang.
"Varian-," I tried.
"QUIET!" He shouted
"I'm the bad guy that's fine...It's no fault of mine and some justice at last will be served." He continued to sing.
"Please listen!" Arianna tried to help.
Varian rolled his eyes, hitting a nail into his machine.
"Now it's time to stand up, or it's time to back down and there's only one answer for me." Varian inhaled sharply, looking almost longingly to his side.
He shakes his head, climbing down the ladder and towards his alchemy.
"So I'll stand up and fight cuz I know that I'm right. And I'm ready, I'm ready, I'm ready...ready as I'll ever be!"
Varian finishes, stuffing some chemical solutions into his pocket, and going back to his machine.
I stare at him longingly, angrily, with sadness and a broken heart.
Why couldn't this angsty, stubborn teenager accept my help?!
It was very silent while Varian worked, occasionally Arianna and I would exchange glances.
Then I started to hear the hooves of horses stomping on the ground and people singing.
Varian abruptly turns around and slides down the ladder.
"I'll make them hear me!" He sings aloud, pulling the chains that sent the atomaton down into the abyss.
"I'll save my one and only." I sang, whispering softly.
The hooves got louder as Varian almost dramatically walks over, watching his machine lower down.
"Ready as I'll~ ever be." Varian finished, cocking his head up.
He grabbed his staff and closed the curtain over Arianna.
"Arianna!" I exclaimed, shaking at my chains.
"I'll be alright, stay strong!" Arianna shouted through the curtain.
"Please-," Varian scoffed, rolling his eyes.
I wasn't gonna play useless anymore, I stared him down instead. I may have not had my powers, but deep down I still know that Varian loves me, just like I love him.
I stared him down, my eyes filled with guilt, sadness and anger.
I wanted him to feel all of it, if not through my powers, then through my eyes.
Varian eventually spared a glance back at me, his eyes filled with just as much pain.
"Varian." I whispered.
He looked away as I spoke those words, hiding in the shadows.
I heard a creak coming from the floor, Rapunzel popped her head out, scanning the area until her eyes landed on me.
"Y/n!" Rapunzel gasped, quickly getting up and out with Frederic following quickly behind.
"Wait guys!" I tried to warn but Rapunzel already tripped the wire.
They were covered in goo, unable to move.
Suddenly laughter was heard and echoed throughout the lab. My fear spiked higher with each echo.
"Welcome back." Varian smirked, revealing himself from the shadows.
"Let her go Varian!" Rapunzel commanded.
"Oh I don't think so. You see, you have to do something for me first." Varian shrugged, walking over and playing with Rapunzel's hair.
"What do you want with her?" Frederic ordered.
"It's quite simple really, you see, the flower is rendered useless to me because it's power is now within Rapunzel. I just need her to lend me her power through my machine and release my father." Varian explained, reveling his machine.
"And in the case it doesn't?" Frederic retorted.
"Wellllllll, in the case that it doesn't the machine may break Rapunzel and kill her but whatever!" Varian grinned, already grabbing some of Rapunzel's hair.
"Absolutely not!" Frederic said, placing an arm in front of Rapunzel.
"I thought of that, maybe this will give you more motivation." Varian said, dropping Rapunzel's hair, walking over and revealing Arianna.
"Mom!" Rapunzel gasped.
"Arianna..." Frederic whispered, dropping his sword.
Varian poured a solution on the chains that held Arianna, it produced the same Amber that encased Quirin. It started to spread, we all gasped in fear.
"It's not your choice dad..." Rapunzel finally decided.
"She's right dad." Varian sneered.
Varian grabbed a shaker that allowed Rapunzel to be released from the gloop she was trapped in.
Varian smirked.
"Shall we get started?" He said.
Rapunzel cringed at him, I did too.
Varian grabbed a bit of Rapunzel's hair once she undid her braid and shoved it through the machine. The machine roared to life.
"In case something happens to me Varian, please don't hurt my family." Rapunzel begged.
Varian didn't even spare a glance back.
"Sorry princess, but I make no promises." Varian spat.
He started drilling into the Amber, Rapunzel fell to the ground almost immediately.
"Varian stop, you're killing her!" I pleaded, yanking harshly at my chains.
Varian ignored me, grunting with the force he needed to drill into the Amber.
But it wasn't working.
All his efforts were rendered useless.
Suddenly, the sound of a shaker fell, it was the solutions to the goo. I saw Ruddiger use the fallen shaker to release Frederic and Rapunzel from it's grasp. I gestured at him to immediately run away with Pascal, out of fear of Varian noticing them.
Frederic was able to escape, picking up his sword and handing it to Arianna who slashed the sword over the chains, breaking them.
Arianna leapt away from the chains just as the Amber was about to encase her.
Arianna ran over to me, breaking the chains and setting me free.
Varian finally stopped the machine, hitting it with his fists.
Arianna ran to Frederic and Rapunzel.
Frederic helped Rapunzel up, taking her and Arianna in his arms.
I wanted to go to Rapunzel but Varian was very unstable right now, he was hurt right now.
I hear him whispering to himself as I get up.
I notice him staring at my family, all happy and together. I knew how much he envied them.
I ran over to him, he didn't notice me at first.
His hard gaze was on my family.
I embraced him fast, pulling him into me as I did so.
"Varian, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry." I repeated while stroking his hair.
Varian breathed in sharply, his hands balled into his fists at his sides.
"Y/n-..." Varian's voice cracked.
Varian started to break down, gasping as he tried to breathe through his sobs.
His knees gave out, causing us to sit on our knees as he cried into my shoulder.
He suddenly pushed me away, causing me to fall. He quickly got up and wiped his tears away.
"No! Y-you're just using your p-powers to make m-me feel u-upset!" Varian yelled, pointing an accusing finger at me.
Frederic started to make his way towards me, but I held up a hand to stop him.
"Varian I'm not, you took away my powers remember? They're not coming back for awhile." I spoke calmly, getting back up and walking towards him.
"NO! I DON'T BELIEVE YOU!" Varian shouted, running away.
I started running after him, only for Rapunzel to grab my wrist.
"Don't Y/n." Rapunzel said sympathetically.
"But-but- I promised!" I tried to explain, tears falling down my face.
There was a rumble in the ground, then there was an atomaton bulging from the ground, Varian inside.
"Sorry Y/n, Rapunzel, we were in this together. But if I can't have my happy ending then neither can you!" Varian shouted, he lifted one of the atomaton's hand and tried to crush it on us.
Varian was trying to kill me?
HE WAS TRYING TO KILL ME.
My family and I run out of the lab and to the outside.
I see a horror laid out before me, atomatons everywhere. What looked like the entire kingdom was also there, fighting them. Some of the atomatons were on the ground in bits, others were busy fighting for their artificial intelligent life.
Varian follows closely behind us.
Why was he trying to kill us? That's just plain madness, he was turning insane! He was- he was- turning into a villain...
He grabs Arianna, quickly grabbing Cassandra as well. His atomaton squeezes them slowly with its fists.
I look over to Rapunzel who was fuming, for once I didn't blame her.
She steps out in front of him.
"That's enough Varian." Rapunzel ordered.
"It's not enough, until you endure the same amount of pain and agony I have." Varian said, repeating what he told me.
Despite now being on Rapunzel's side, my heart continued to break into two.
Rapunzel willed two rocks to come towards her, when could she do that?
She grabs them with her hands, yelling as a blue light shined through her, her hair lifting up with the wisps of the blue light.
The rocks were now at her command, she willed them to destroy the other machines.
Varian dropped Arianna and Cassandra to the ground, his atomaton running towards Rapunzel.
Rapunzel used a black rock to cut off one arm, one leg, and eventually break one big rock through Varian's machine in all.
Rapunzel's eyes were shining blue, she wasn't stopping.
Varian shouts in anger as he climbs out in defeat.
Why wasn't Rapunzel stopping?
She looked so angry, I've never seen her like this before.
I tried shaking her shoulder, she wouldn't budge. Her bright eyes were marked right on Varian.
"Rapunzel, that's enough. We've won." I tried to tell her.
She didn't move, she didn't even blink. It was like she was under a trance.
"Rapunzel, c'mon he's still a kid, I think he's learned his lesson!" I tried to reason, despite them being useless points.
She didn't stop.
Varian started walking towards us, his face distorted with dry tears stained on his face, a few more falling down with every step he took.
I could tell what Rapunzel was about to do.
I started running towards Varian, I needed to get him out of the way.
Justice is not served by seeking revenge, it's through mercy and doing what's right.
"VARIAN, GET OUT OF THE WAY!" I tried shouting at him.
Rapunzel lowered her head and shot it straight up.
As she did so, a thin black rock shot straight through Varian.
"VARIAN!" I screamed.
The bright blue light from Rapunzel disappeared, I could hear her thump onto the ground.
All the rocks she summoned disappeared into the ground, Varian fell to the floor, unmoving.
Rapunzel didn't even know what she had done yet.
I almost tripped by how fast I was running, I was screaming Varian's name over and over again.
He didn't budge.
I finally got to him, he looked like a corpse.
I prayed that he wasn't.
I was fragile with him as I lifted his head onto my lap.
"Varian?" I whispered, my tears staining his face.

Lol, LOL.
Hope you enjoyed!:D
Please tell me if I made any mistakes!
Have a blessed day/morning/night!<3