chapter 33

I squinted, due to the harsh, bright headlights approaching us. It was hard to see whoever was inside, even as they pulled up towards us, rolling the window down.

"What're you kids doin' out here in the middle of nowhere, eh?" The man on the driver's side said.

He looked to be in his later 30s to early 40s, but he looked pretty friendly. Even so, I could feel Peter's grip around me tighten.

"Just... was on a little detour and got lost, I guess..." I chuckled, hoping it was convincing enough.

The man smiled, "Well, if you don't gotta ride, hop in."

I glanced to Peter, who also seemed to be hesitant. Who wouldn't be hesitant? Some random man just offered a couple of teenagers a ride in his pickup-truck. It's when I saw a little girl poke her head out from the front passenger seat window, the situation became less tense.

Slightly shrugging, I gave Peter a why-not look, and we silently agreed. It was our best bet anyway. It would have been hours for us to walk on-foot all the way back to the city, especially considering out conditions.

Opening the back-seat door, we climbed in the car.

"Man, ya'll in the WWE, or somethin'? You guys look like you've been trampled by elephants."

I grinned, trying not to laugh too much, since their was a strain on my sore ribs.

"Just about, sir." A soft chuckle fell from Peter's lips.

The little girl, with auburn-red hair, peered over the seat she was sitting in.

"What's your names...?" She asked, shyly.

"I'm Y/N... that's Peter."

I glanced over to him, smiling.

She was practically staring at him, "Why is he dressed like the spider hero on the news?"

"Costume party." Peter and I both said, simultaneously. 

The little girl's gaze shifted to me.

"Then what are you supposed to be?"

"Uhhh..."

Before I could come up with an answer, the man-- which I'm assuming is the little girl's father-- spoke up.

"Harper, hun, let's leave the poor kids alone... they're probably a little too tired for your pop quizzes."

Harper turned back around, looking out the window instead. She was cute but the guy was right. I'm way too tired for pop quizzes. So tired that I was on the verge of dozing off, before he spoke up again.

"Hey, I'll just drive ya'll to the hospital... unless you wanna go home...?"

"No, hospital is fine, thank you."

He simply nodded in response, turning his attention back to the empty road that we were driving on. Immediately, my eyes fluttered close, and I leaned my head on Peter's shoulder. He didn't move away. In fact, he edged slightly closer to me, gently snaking his arm around my waist. Suddenly, I felt the red-haired girl's eyes on me, once again. Smirking, I slightly opened my eyes, she flinched, in surprise, turning back around in a split second.

I must have slipped unconscious or something because the last few moments were simply a blur.

The lights in the room were bright. Like a hospital.

My eyes widened, in a split second.

No, no, no.

My breathing picked up and I was on the verge of hyperventilating.

This place... it looks like...

I gulped. Everything was blurry, due to the tears forming in my eyes.

"No..." I whispered, my voice dry and coarse from the lack of speaking in the past hour or so.

My breath hitched as someone's cold hand held my face. A tear fell down my cheek. I can't be back there.

"Y/N?"

I sniffled, realizing who's voice it was. Immediately feeling relief.

It was just Peter. Looking down at me with concern in his expression. His thumb brushed my cheek bone, where the faded bruise was.

Once I studied the room more, I realized I was not, in-fact, back in the sanatorium, if that would have even been possible.

"What... happened?"

My vision was clearing up.

Peter sat down in a chair next to the hospital bed.

"The man drove us to hospital but when we got there, we realized you were unconscious so we had to carry you in... you have a few cracked ribs, you're wrist was sprained and some minor bruises... is what the nurses told me."

I blinked, "Are you okay?"

He tilted his head, smiling in confusion, "I just told you about your cracked ribs and partially-broken wrist... and you ask if I'm okay?"

I shrugged, lazily.

"Yeah... I'm fine... the cuts were pretty shallow, surprisingly." He lightly chuckled.

Has his smile always been that adorable?

I could feel my tired-sedated self staring at him, a small smile starting to form on my face. His eyes were puppy-dog like and even with the band-aids and bruises on his face, he was still so addicting to look at.

I only realized it was getting awkward when he finally spoke up.

"So, how do you feel?"

Looking at the ceiling, I sighed, "Tired... I wanna go home."

As if on cue-- my older brother bursts through the door, a nurse trailing behind him, as if struggling to hold him back.

"Y/N! Are you okay!? I thought you went to homecoming, not some wrestling event." He questioned, sounding like a concerned mother.

I rolled my eyes, slightly laughing, "I'm fine, David."

He glanced at Peter, eyeing him up and down. David then averted his eyes, giving me a who-is-this-guy look.

"Oh, David, this is Peter, from school." I gestured to Peter.

David only nodded, his lips formed a straight line, "I just wanna know what the hell happened, Y/N."

I tilted my head, thinking of answers that would sugar-coat the situation, so that David wouldn't throw a fit. But he interrupted before I could even speak.

"And don't give me some half-assed answer like- 'Oh! I just got so carried away at the dance that I somehow managed to break my ribs and wrist!' Okay?" He said dramatically, trying to imitate me

He was right though.

"You want the whole damn story? Fine."

I cleared my throat.

a/n: UGH IK ITS TAKEN ME SO LONG TO POST THIS BUT I WAS IN A SLUMPPPPPPPP.

anyways sorry for the inactivity but i hope u enjoyed <33333 see u next chapter my luvs <3