Episode 2 - Delayed Gratification - Sneak Peek

CHAPTER 1 - LAKESIDE COMPANY

The water is the perfect temperature, steam rising into the early December air, as I sink into the depths of the twelve-person hot tub nestled at the edge of the back deck. Grandmother's indulgence, she'd claimed she needed the size to hold meetings of her book club so they could relax their old bones. But like me, I think she'd just loved the water and wanted to enjoy it year-round. Either way, it is exactly what I need this evening. While I'd had a successful day of writing, after that many hours hunched over my laptop, my brain and body crave the break.

With the jets and house lights off, I float on my back and gaze up at the stars. It's a peaceful night with only a light breeze to barely stir the water's surface and chill my exposed front. Little ripples flow away from me as I flutter my fingers, keeping me from the tub's edges. The hoot of an owl echoes across the lake.

A voice calls out something, but the words are muffled by the water. Lifting my head, I look around. A man's silhouette is in the darkened yard, but his features are obscured. "Sorry? I couldn't hear with my ears underwater."

"How is the water?" asks a familiar, pleasing baritone voice.

"James?"

"Yes."

My heart gives an extra fast thump as I scan for others. His protection detail is missing. James has never visited without at least Matt, his security chief, accompanying him. "It's perfect. You should join me." Although, now that I consider it, as long as nothing happens to me, he can't be at risk in my reality because my writing would bring him to life in the fictional universe, regardless. Wouldn't it? I blow out a breath. Trying to understand how my characters jump multiverses to visit me makes my head spin. These last two months, since Loki exploded into my reality and opened the door to my other characters, have been both crazy and some of the best of my life.

James strolls over the grass, tosses his jacket and t-shirt on the deck, toes off his shoes and socks, and shucks his pants. The clink of his belt echoes as it hits a metal brace on the wooden boards. In his dark boxer briefs contrasting against his paler skin, he climbs the stairs, then descends into the water.

I'm floating on the far side as I watch him approach in the waist-deep water. He ducks under, then emerges, swiping sodden ebony locks out of his eyes. He's close enough now that his smile gleams in the moonlight, highlighting the dark stubble on his strong jaw with the divot in his chin.

"Good evening, Right Honourable Prime Minister," I say with a cheeky grin. "You are looking parliament ready in your almost birthday suit."

His black eyebrows shoot up and amusement stretches his full lips. Reaching out an arm, he snags my foot, using it to pull me closer. "Sassy writer. You are lacking in respect for your nation's leader."

Hmm... is he finally taking Loki's suggestion? It's the first time he's visited since the Halloween party. My pulse quickens. "And what are you going to do about it, Sir?" I ask a little breathlessly.

Parting my legs, he pulls my hips down into the heated water and tugs my core tight to his well-defined stomach as he sinks us into the deep centre of the hot tub. I wrap my legs around him. His skin is a hot contrast with the cool air. With his spread fingers on my back, I hook my hands behind his neck. The sprinkle of midnight hairs on his muscular chest tickles my skin in a sensuous stroke, and I brush my breasts back and forth, just close enough to feel them, but not enough to press against his skin.

His voice drops into a low, seductive caress. "That depends, Melody. Are you going to tease me with your bewitching little body the way you just had Lynn do, or are you going to let me actually fuck you?"

I give a mock gasp, even as a thrill of need zips along my nerve endings. "Such language! I'm shocked, Sir! What would your voters think?"

He growls, and it rumbles in his chest. "That you are a teasing minx in need of a good, hard fucking. Give me an answer, woman. I'm tempted to rip that suit right off you." His blue eyes are dark with desire, the pupil swallowing his iris as he looks at the tiny black bikini doing a poor job of hiding my taut nipples a few inches below the water's surface.

Eyes locked on him, I slowly raise my mouth to his, stopping just before our lips meet. "Rip it off, Sir," I whisper.

Closing the distance, his lips ravage mine in a passionate explosion of caressing tongues and biting nips, with one hand behind my head holding me to him. My hands wander over his broad shoulders, exploring the ridges and valleys of his fit body and the scars from the explosion that almost took his life in Afghanistan even as he plunders my mouth. I can't get enough of touching him.

He lifts me higher out of the water, tilting my upper body backwards so he can kiss and lick his way down my neck. His tongue traces and captures water droplets trickling down my skin. I shiver in reaction.

"You like that, don't you?" he asks, between sweeps of his tongue.

"Yes. Yes I do, Sir," I breathe in a light moan. My nipples ache, and I arch my back, pushing them up at him.

With his eyes on mine, he hooks one hand in the centre of my bikini top between my breasts and snaps the cups apart in a sharp yank. He looks down and smiles, a look of pure masculine admiration. I arch even more. I want his hot, wet mouth and tongue on me.

"What is it you want, Melody?" he asks in a sensual growl. 

A/N: If you've enjoyed this snippet, please write a review on Amazon. You can get the full episode on Amazon for $0.99 USD, or keep an eye on my socials or webpage as I frequently have ebook giveaways when you can snag the download for absolutely free! 

99 USD, or keep an eye on my socials or webpage as I frequently have ebook giveaways when you can snag the download for absolutely free!