9

I was naked and trying to keep the soap out of my eyes while Rebecca was standing in the door frame frowning at me. She startled me but I know exactly what I had to say.

- I wasn't feeling well so I went to the beach baby. I think I just didn't see time pass.

- Don't you ever do that again, I had great news to tell you but you're never here to support me. I'm starting to think you don't even love me anymore. Are you having an affair ? Don't tell me you're seeing someone else when I'm CAMPAIGNING Ambrosia. That would look really bad.

My eyes began to tear up. She didn't care if I was having someone on the side, she only cared about how it would reflect on her. Now who was the wolf and who was the sheep.

- No, I said, a tremor in my voice. I am not having an affair. And I do love you. You just love your stupid career more than me and it's eating me alive. I'm cold, I added finally, let me finish my shower and then we can talk about this.

- Ugh fine. You even haven't made breakfast.

She slammed the door on her way out.

- I'm not your fucking maid Rebecca, you spoiled brat !

I don't even know if she heard me. Now I was crying in the shower and my face would be all puffy. I was drowning in work, I had a book tour coming in two weeks, a book to finish by next month, but my wife didn't care. She wanted me to make breakfast.

I finished my shower, shivering because of course Rebecca was too entitled to close the windows. I was really tempted to tell her what Rèva had told me but knowing her she would do something stupid... and I wasn't trying to get killed. I had to make her drop the campaign but I didn't know how.

I started to think I didn't know her well enough. For christ sake four months ago I didn't even know she had an interest in politics. She had never talked to me about it.

I went to the bedroom where I found her on the phone whispering to someone, probably her secretary. So I wasn't allowed to have an affair but her ... well she was selfish Rebecca, as usual.

She hung up as soon as she saw me staring.

- I don't think you're my maid Bee, I just think since you don't work you could take care of the house.

I was starting to see red.

- I don't work Rebecca ?? How selfish are you exactly ?? Do you know how many deadlines I have ? Do you know I'm preparing a book tour ? Do you know I'm working on two different books AND a script for television ? Who exactly is funding you stupid campaign ? Me. Who according to you doesn't work. You are a selfish bitch.

- Oh I'm the selfish one ? You cannot even take an afternoon to make an appearance to a fucking cocktail party.

- To do what ? Watch you get drunk and hit on your fucking secretary ? Give me a break.

- You are spiraling there's nothing between us. It wouldn't look good for my campaign.

- Oh and it would look good for our marriage ? When exactly did you decide to run for mayor ? Who gave you this stupid idea.

- No one ! I am allowed to have my own thoughts ! And yes Sophia helped me decide to run because you were really unsupportive. You are the selfish one. Always in your study with your books and your prizes. I was feeling lonely, i wanted to do something that mattered.

- Trust me Becks being the mayor of Fucktown won't improve our relationship.

She got up from the bed, flustered and angry and slapped me across the face, a slap that I gave her back happily. We started to fight, she punched me in the eye, I bit her neck and soon we were on our knees on the carpet, all bruised up. She started crying.

- I cannot believe I married you, she said between her tears.

- And I cannot believe I abandoned my career in Hollywood for you. I thought we could be happy but I guess not. You want always more of me when I already gave you everything. You are a dark hole and I'm being sucked up by you.

I got up and got dressed not caring much about her show of fake tears and fake heartbreak.

-I'll be in my study. Don't even bother coming to me. I don't want to see tour face. There's nothing that can save this relationship.

I hesitated then took off the bracelet she gave me for our anniversary and threw it at her.

- I'm done with you Rebecca. And you won't get a cent more from me for you stupid campaign.

I went to my bureau, locked it up and started crying hopelessly. My marriage was going downhill and I felt so depressed, I just wanted to feel happy again. I took a bottle of gin off the shelf and didn't even bother to get a glass. It was not even noon and I was going to get drunk to forget all the bad choices I had made because of the fire in my heart that I had for Rebecca.