Mother

Characters in this chapter-
King Thorne- Mermaid King
King Ariston- Werewolf King

*Nymeria's P.O.V*

Skyler was waiting outside of the dining room for me and offered me his arm when he saw me. I accepted it, looping our arms together.

"Are you going to be okay?" Skyler asked as he looked down at me. He was only an inch taller than me but still felt the need to look down at me to assert the fact he was taller than me.

"I will be fine," I reassured him simply.

"If you do need someone, who should I go and get? I know Castien is gone so who would be the next person you would want me to get?" Skyler asked . He knew how upset I got every time that my mother decided to come by.

"Any one of the Kings or Queens," I answered simply. I heard the noise of surprise in the back of his throat but he nodded his head in understanding.

"Just say my name and I'll go get them," Skyler said. He pulled his arm from mine when we reached a sitting room that was reserved for the royal family. He looked to me for permission before opening the door.

I straightened up immediately before I entered the room. My eyes immediately went to the woman sitting on one of the couches, a wine glass already in her hand. I bit back a sigh as I approached her.

"Mother, how lovely to see you," I said softly, sitting across from her on another couch.  I realized I was hyper focusing on her too much when I realized that I was watching her drink from her wine glass. I forced myself to look away and focused on my deep breathing.

"Well if you would visit I wouldn't have to come up to this old castle," her voice grated on my ears and I nodded my head mutely. I wouldn't visit her at least not as long as I was sane.

"We both know you didn't come by to chat with me," I said simply as I ran my fingers over the arm of the couch, watching the pattern change. "So what do you want?" I questioned tiredly as I looked at her.

"Close off the trade agreements," she said simply as she looked me in the eyes.

"I'm not going to do that," I stated as I shook my head. "The trade agreements have only just started and the kingdom is already flourishing more than it ever has. Where is this even coming from?" I asked confused.

"You blackmailed Lord Jameson," she hissed out as she stood up. My entire body tensed as I looked her in the eyes with a frown.

"I did no such thing, I informed him of the liberties I was willing to take. Liberties that I am legally allowed to use," I stated as I rose from my seat. My whole body felt like shaking but I refused to show weakness.

"You will cease it at once, I won't have you blackmailing a citizen," she said. My eyes narrowed as I looked at her. She never showed concern for such people unless she had a personal connection with them.

"You're fucking him aren't you?" I asked as I glared at her.

"It took you that long to realize?" she asked as she held out her hand, showing off a ring from his family's jewelry. It even had his crest on it.

"You didn't tell me," I shrugged as I  sat on the edge of the couch. It didn't surprise me that she was with Lord Jameson, she was only ever with men like him.

"Shut down the trade agreements," she said and I frowned as I looked at her.

"I'm not going to do that," I said simply as I crossed one of my legs.

"You're so selfish, just like brother. I can't believe I ever gave birth to someone so selfish," she stated. A chill ran down my spine and I felt tears prick my eyes. I was angry with her, I was angry that she would say such a thing about my brother. More than anything I was angry that I was stuck with her as my mother. The Queens who barely knew me treated me better than she ever had. They had been more motherly than she ever had.

"I'll have Skyler escort you out," I said as I forced myself to stand. My heart ached for the relationship that I realized that we would never have. I had always known that we would never be close but I had never realized that our relationship was so broken until now.

"Don't walk away from me," Mother said and I felt her hand grab my shoulder.

"Let go," I said simply as I tried to push her hand away. Her nails only dug deeper into my shoulder and I held back a wince.

"We're not done talking," she said simply as she jerked me around so that my back was to the door.

"Let me go," I said as I glared at her. Her free hand smashed into my face and I gasped as the wine glass that had been in her hand shattered across my face.

Her hand was suddenly ripped off my shoulder from someone standing behind me and I turned to see King Thorne standing behind me. He was still holding her hand by the wrist, squeezing it slightly.

"Are you okay?" he questioned softly as his free hand cupped my face. I nodded slightly as I hesitantly pulled away. His touch was so comforting and I felt tears fall down my face from the loss of contact.

"I'm fine, just make her leave," I choked out as I managed to walk out of the room, keeping my composure. As soon as I was out of the room, I collapsed into sobs against the nearest wall. I felt a strong pair of arms wrap around me and lift me up, turning me so that I could sob in their chest.

"It'll be okay pup, you're safe," King Ariston's strong voice was softer than I had ever heard it be before. He lifted me up and I buried my face into his neck as he rubbed my back. I could feel blood trickling down parts of my face from the glass that had struck it.

"Daddy, it hurts," I whispered softly.

"I know, we'll go see Elvira and get her to heal you pup," he promised as he wrapped his arms more securely around me.