-> instruction

Bradley and I were best friends growing up.

A lot between us went wrong, but I still think it's a cruel twist of fate to know so much about him and yet, nothing at all.

And to see him after all this time.

He's changed, I've changed.

He's gotten taller and more tan, and I got more mature.

Bradley even sported a mustache, one he talked about getting growing up, when he still had peach fuzz on his face.

We're no longer the lanky teenagers we used to be, we're both stronger and smarter.

Hopefully smart enough to not make the same mistakes twice.

I snap out of my daydreaming when I hear a loud, "Attention on deck!"

We all stood up immediately out of habit, as our admiral's words rang out.

He surveyed the group he had brought together, his eyes lingering on me and Rooster.

At the front of the room, he gripped the sides of the teacher's desk, and said, "Morning. Welcome to your special training attachment. Be seated."

We all found our way to our seats, and unfortunately, Hangman decided to sit next to me.

I would've sat next to Phoenix, if she didn't have to sit next to her wingman, Bob.

So as a solo pilot, so I was stuck next to him.

Me and Phoenix had been each other's wing woman's at one point, but neither of us could take being in the back of the cockpit, and we ended up arguing because of it.

We both wanted to be in control, I was just like my dad in that respect. So I became a solo pilot, and Phoenix kept looking for the perfect wingman.

It also didn't help the fact that Rooster sat some seats behind me, and when he wasn't paying attention at the front, I could feel his eyes on me.

I chew my gum harder, almost religiously, like how the rest of these guys chew on a toothpick. I've been reprimanded a couple of times about it, since it's a "choking hazard," but I do my job to well for anyone to ever stop me.

"I'm Admiral Bates, you're all Top Gun graduates. The best of the best." Phoenix turns around and winks at me, and I try not to laugh. "That was yesterday."

All the pilots in the room suddenly are on the edge of their seats, what was the mission we were expected to go on?

Admiral Bates continues, "The enemy's new fifth generation fighter levels the playing field. We have very few details, we don't have the technological advantage anymore. Success, now more than ever, comes down to the man, or woman," he glances at me and Phoenix, "in the box."

Hangman turns to me and wiggles his eyebrows, a taunt that says I won't make it.

But if he doesn't make it, I won't, I know I'm a better pilot than him. I ignore him with cold eyes.

"Half of you will make the cut. Only one of you will be made mission leader, and the other half will remain in reserve." Admiral Bates looks in the crowd, wondering who will keep eye contact or who will shy away.

"Who's gonna be teaching us?" Payback calls out, it's not like we've all been thinking the same question.

"Your instructor is a Top Gun graduate with real world experience, in every aspect you will be expected to learn and master. His exploits are legendary, what he has to teach you may very well be the difference between life and death." Admiral Bates explains.