27 - A Theory of Darkness

The deep darkness she found herself in had her fooled for a second; Elanthin almost thought she was back on the edge of the Deep. Maybe she'd lost consciousness after being hit by a boulder or poisonous claw, leaving her unconscious on one of the small pathways leading down. After all, the descent was just as dangerous as the monsters waiting on the lower levels. But the distant chirping of birds made her remember where she really was: far away from the abyss and its darkness.

While she was fighting to open her heavy eyelids, Elanthin took in some of the fresh air surrounding her. Breathing felt like little shards drilling into her chest but she felt like she would drown if she didn't take in as much air as she possibly could.

When the pain in her chest had relented, all that was left was exhaustion – and a strangely familiar warmth around her left hand.

"Are you ... awake?" The deep voice carried a strange weight; the weight of sitting by the bedside of a dying person.

Elanthin took another deep breath, ignoring the pain, before she opened her eyes with great effort.

"I think so", she said hoarsely. There was no strength in her body and she doubted her ability to speak up. Her throat didn't feel much different compared to her lungs.

How long has it been since I've felt this weak?, she asked herself in disbelief. Aetrian wore a similar expression, although likely for other reasons.

"By the graces", he exhaled and the tremor in his voice would have made Elanthin draw back if she'd been strong enough. In her current state, however, she lent him his hand for a little bit longer since his warmth was more soothing that she would have cared to admit.

"We were starting to worry that you wouldn't make it. How are you feeling? Are you strong enough to drink or eat something?"

If I wasn't, I wouldn't be able to deal with all your questions, she thought with a twinge of annoyance. Now that the fog around her thoughts started to clear up a little, Elanthin scanned the room. Silver vines raked themselves around the posts of her bed and everything was enveloped in the faint blue glow of magic runes. They were in the Silver-something bedroom next to Aetrian's in which she'd been sleeping since the assassin's attack. As if to allow easy check-ups, the bed curtains had been bound to the posts. An uncomfortable sense of foreboding encroached upon Elanthin.

"How ... how long have I been asleep?"

"It's the eleventh day."

With a sudden surge of panic, she struggled to raise herself up against the pillows but her muscles weren't working like usual. Aetrian seemed torn between helping and keeping his hands to himself – as politeness would have it. After she'd tried and failed to sit up for the second time, he settled on a light touch on Elanthin's shoulder. Gently, he pressed her down into the cushions while he spoke.

"If you're too weak to sit up, you shouldn't force yourself. There's no one here besides me."

She barely heard him over the repetition of his voice in her head. The eleventh day. Still, she had no choice but to give in and sink back into her soft bedding due to her current state.

"I need to ... get up and ...", her voice trailed off as she lost her train of thought and Aetrian shook his head decidedly.

"I don't think so. For now, you should sleep some more." Careful not to touch her skin, he pulled up the covers. "Don't worry and recover properly. I'll call the doctor and the maids over in the meantime."

#

Before the royal medic could arrive, Elanthin had succumbed to a state of half-sleep again. Scraps of conversation and the low chirping of birds filled her mind as she slipped in and out of consciousness. Finally, the low gurgling of water brought her back to her senses but she couldn't yet open her eyes. Fighting the heavy drowsiness in her body, she held on to the few Gratian words she was able to catch.

"Darkness can ... long exposure in the ... We don't know if ..."

"... that she's recovering ..."

"Aydeze mentioned ... just a theory ..."

The words entered her mind without turning into meaning. She was floating in the strange feeling of unwillingness relaxation. After some more time had passed, the pressure on her eyelids faded and light broke through the darkness in her mind. She blinked into the gleaming sunlight, while trying to orientate herself amongst the plump cushions around her.

"Oh, are you with us again?" Aetrian's warm voice dispelled the cold, which was entering her room through the open windows. "We've gotten you some fresh air and water. Unless you can manage tea and biscuits."

This time, her limbs obeyed her. With relief, Elanthin raised herself up before falling back against the headrest of the four-poster. She wasn't alone with Aetrian anymore. An aging man, maybe around fifty, sat next to him with a large leather case on his knees. He called out to her in a polite but decided manner as their eyes met.

"Your Majesty. Try taking some water, if you please", he proposed, using the Veritan tongue flawlessly. „Your body is dangerously dehydrated."

She looked him over warily; his small build was hidden under various layers of robes. Like most of the Gratians she'd met, he was wearing one of those embroidered scarfs to keep them together, but it was the first time Elanthin had seen so many little bags and pockets tied to it. At first glance, he resembled a traveling merchant with a fondness for herbs. She concluded that this man must be the royal physician, whom Aetrian had spoken of.

Elanthin was reaching for the silver water cup offered by him, when she hesitated. Her body still tingled like a hundred bees had stung her skin but the tremor in her hands was gone. Had she been cured of it?

"Can someone explain to me what happened out there?", she asked slowly after taking a sip of water. It burned all the way down her throat but her dry mouth still craved for more.

Aetrian cleared his throat before speaking. "You were grazed by a poisoned arrow. Your life was in danger since it wasn't anything the Gratian medics or mages had seen before."

"Actually, there's something we need to confirm", added the physician. The spark in his eyes betrayed his professional curiosity. "The mages assume that the origin of the poison lies in the Deep. Is that ... something you've heard of?"