EPILOGUE

00||WHAT ONCE WAS WILL BE AGAIN

ᴏɴ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴇꜱᴛᴇʀɴ ꜱɪᴅᴇ ᴏꜰ ᴛʜᴇ ꜰᴏʟᴅ

Six figures were standing on the edge of the torn-to-shreds city of Novokribirsk, uneassily eyeing the fold. Two figures were standing closer then all the rest, one gripping his cane as the woman next to him looked at the monstrosity before them. "She'll...she'll come back." Alina told herself, her voice wavering as tears almost brimmed her eyes, threatening to spill over. Mal walked over, holding her from behind as he gave her a coat to keep her warm. "What if..." The tracker almost didn't want to say those words, as if it would make it all too real, as if it would seal her fate. Kaz had almost shot him a withering glare. "Anya will make it."

The rest of the group had joined them, staring out into the fold as they all seemed to swallow nervously. Inej started to pray, hoping, needing her friend to survive, to come back to them all. Zoya clenched and unclenched her hands anxiously. Jesper's breathing had grown erratic, his heart beating a mile a minute. The young Starkov woman hung onto her tracker, grasping his hand in distress as he clenched his jaw. The young barrel boss kept his eyes transfixed on the deadly wall of shadows before him. And then, in the distance, something moved. A severed and half charred volcra head of a volcra was thrown out, rolling to a stop as it bruned up in the sun light. Then, a hand burst through the fold.

Anya staggered out, looking disheveled and dazzed, dragging the volcra's decapitated body out behind her before she let go. The group ran to her, the squaller catching her just in time before she collapsed to the ground from exhaustion. The Zemeni man barked out a maddening laugh as the others smiled, the wraith helping the dark haired woman steady her as they set her down on a log near the fire. "Anya Oryalen, the girl who was born to die and fought to live." the sharpshooter remarked. The raven-haired gave him an exhausted half-smile, closing her eyes briefly as she leaned her head against the sun summoner, who parted the hair away from her face.

Dirtyhands handed the Oryalen woman a flask of water that she gingerly took, gulping it down, water dribbling down her chin. "Whoa, calm down!" The Keramzin man noted jokingly. "You try pouring all your power into tearing down the most powerful grisha to have ever lived." she retorted with a smirk. The Ghafa woman raised a skeptical brow at the words of her friends. "He's got some competition for that title in my opinion." She stated, making the young grisha woman chuckle.

" She stated, making the young grisha woman chuckle