Graduation

The next morning when she went downstairs, Tang Yao saw a man who in her opinion, could only be described as " Yummy". Lao K was standing at the bottom of the stairs in an obviously expensive, well-tailored light gray suit. His hair was still slightly damp from the shower and she cold smell his aftershave and perfume. She saw him staring at her which made her blush.

" We match" he said and smiled. She looked at her own knee-length light blue dress[1] that matched his shirt perfectly and blushed again. She had made an effort today. She had pulled half her hair into a bejeweled barrette and put on light make up accentuating her already pretty features. She had lined her eyes, applied a little lipstick in an effort to look dressed up. Her blue pumps completed her look. " Let's go" she said and dragged him outside. When they reached the airport, Tang Yao prepared to join the security line for her private jet. Instead, they were promptly escorted by an overattentive Air China staff member to the business class passenger line.

" Captain, I didn't buy a business class ticket. I can't be here. I'm going to my own private jet you can return your ticket"

He smiled and said, "Ah ok. Forgot how rich you are" Thirty minutes later, they were sitting in the lounge, eating breakfast waiting for the plane to start. He had simply upgraded her ticket and bought the seat next to hers.Tong Yao guessed correctly that he was about to say something object , " Tong Yao , you don't have to do this. I...I will repay you for the seats"

She smiled back, " Did I ask you to? I want to do this. ", deciding to share a little with her he aaud, " My own parents never made it to my graduation. I was the only one standing alone while the others celebrated with their families.No one should feel like that. You'll do fine valedictorian "

She blushed, ". How did you know I was the valedictorian? "

He replied, " I saw the first line of the speech on your laptop last night. Relax. " She somehow didn't think that was true but couldn't find anything appropriate to say in response as the airline started boarding. On the plane, he didn't give her a chance to ask questions, he spent the whole time quizzing her about her program. He heard about how she had skipped two grades to enroll at the university of Beijing and subsequently spent most of her time at College Park in Maryland. He asked her, " How did you manage to graduate so soon? You must have some credits left still"

Tang Yao blushed, " I applied for an exception to take exams without sitting for the course and also submitted a thesis. They thought the thesis had enough merit for me to graduate" The rest of the plane ride was spent with him asking her a lot of questions about her time in the US and her thesis. They reached the graduation venue an hour before the ceremony was supposed to start.

Lao K" I'll go find my seat. Good luck"

Tang Yao smiled, " Thank you". She found a bathroom to freshen up and then went and lined up with her classmates. She didn't know many of them well, as she had basically studied in the US. A few recognized her as Smiling from her streams. She was soon called upon to deliver her Valedictorian's speech and she made her way to the podium nervously. Her eyes automatically sought her traveling companion who seemed to be very comfortable sitting next to her department dean. He smiled reassuringly at her and mouthed " You've got this". Taking a deep breath she delivered a beautiful address focusing on the power of following one's dreams and enjoying the journey. At the end of her address she received a thundering applause. The ceremony was soon complete and she found her captain again. He had a big bouquet of white and pink lilies in his hand.

He handed the bouquet to her and said, " Congratulations shortie! So proud of what you have accomplished in such a short time." She colored lightly as she received the bouquet. ' Where did he manage to find these beautiful flowers? My favorite ones at that'