Chapter Thirty-Five- The Last Mission

*LEILA*

"Are you sure you are feeling okay?" Rio asked, looking at my belly.

That was the third time he asked and every time, I said the same thing. I was fine.

"Rio, I am okay, I promise."

"I am just worried, Leila. We are going to Mateo's ship, where Giovanni and the others are being held, and I can't help but think that something bad might happen. I am so scared," he explained, making my heart clench.

I was so selfish that I didn't think about what Rio was feeling. "I am sorry, Rio. You are right," I replied, hugging him. "But don't worry. You will be with me the entire time. Plus, Lorenzo, Mateo, and Adam are going to be there, along with Mateo's and Lorenzo's men."

"You are right, my love," he said, kissing me.

"Are you ready?" Adam asked from behind the door.

I saw Rio rolling his eyes, still not liking how Adam was being everywhere, but he controlled his emotions, for me.

"Yes," Rio replied coldly. When he saw me looking at him, he said, "Sorry, I just can't help it."

"It's okay, he deserved it anyway," I said, making him grin.

"I love you," he murmured, burying his face in my neck.

"I love you too."

* * *

An hour later, we arrived at the dock. There were many ships and boats parked and tied to the dock.

We followed Mateo and two of his men to his ship. Every time we got closer, the ships became larger, and Mateo's ship was the largest.

It looked like the cargo ships, where he probably used this one to ship weapons and other stuff to Spain from the U.S. I never asked Lorenzo what Mateo worked in, especially after he retired. The Martinez mafia was no longer operating unless they helped other mafias with shipments like they did for Lorenzo.

"Be careful," Mateo said, grabbing my hand and helping me into the ship.

Rio and Adam were mad that they weren't the ones to help me, which caused Mateo to smirk at his victory.

We walked inside and Mateo greeted everyone.

I started feeling nervous because I haven't seen my father and brother in a very long time. Even hearing their voices brought terrible memories back, so what would happen when I see their faces?

"Are you ready?" Adam asked, cutting my thinking off.

"Not really. I am nervous," I replied.

"You know you don't have to do this, right?" Adam gently asked.

"I know, but I want to. I need to do it," I firmly said.

"Okay."

We proceeded below the ship through narrow stairs. Rio supported me while going down so I don't slip.

"Open the door," Mateo ordered one of his men.

The man took the keys out and opened the steel door. The smell was terrible. My pregnant self almost couldn't take it as I was going to vomit.

We entered the room and saw the three men who made my life a living hell, hanging on the ceiling.

Giovanni was wide awake when I looked at him, but the other two were long unconscious.

When Giovanni saw me, his jaw clenched, and gritted his teeth. His eyes narrowed and tried so hard to break free as if he wanted to come and hit me.

Goosebumps appeared on my skin as I looked at the three of them. Instant regret for coming here washed over me, but I kept reminding myself that I had to be the one to end it once and for all.