Chapter 14

"What are you doing?" Mahogany hissed. She glanced in the direction Evelina gestured. Tony's tall, well-built frame strode over to their table. She thanked her luck that the pub's dim light concealed the swathe of sweat that had sprung out across her hairline. The dream she'd had of Tony in the garden came into focus with blinding detail. She could almost feel his hand on her face, his lips on hers, his fingers undoing her—

"Good thing you put on extra deodorant this morning," Guy said, leaning in close to Mahogany.

Mahogany shot Guy a look that made him throw his hands up in defense.

"I told Tony to meet us here," Evelina said, retaking her seat.

"Why?" Mahogany said, horror-stricken. "He's new to town and a human. Won't the fact that he's living among magical Folk break him?" It seemed like a legitimate excuse, even if not entirely accurate. But the idea of telling Evelina about her crush on Tony tightened her chest with anxiety. She wasn't ready to share that tidbit just yet.

"You're human, and you're fine," Evelina said, shrugging Mahogany's words away. "Not to mention, we could use some eye candy since I can't see your cute ghost." She nudged Mahogany with her elbow and winked.

"He's not my ghost," Mahogany said, her eye beginning to twitch.

"Hey, I hope I didn't miss too much," Tony said.

"Not at all. I just got here," Evelina said. She kicked out a chair for Tony to take.

Tony's smooth golden skin and almond-shaped eyes radiated a warmth that traveled across the table and seeped into Mahogany. Nerves fluttered in her stomach, making her queasy. She took a deep breath and told Tony and Evelina that she'd heard that Jeff Samuels had threatened one of the victims several times with violence. Also, that Magic Mike had spent his afternoons in Tipsy O'Lush's and had taken dinner to the brownstone from here the night of the murders.

Tony sat up straight in his seat. "How did you come by this information?"

"Insider tip," Mahogany said, side-eying Guy, who smiled at her.

"Otherworldly more like it," Evelina said.

"What do you mean?" Tony asked.

"Nothing," Mahogany and Evelina said together.

Tony eyed them but didn't press further. "Jeff is a real piece of work, especially where his sister is concerned. I've only lived here a month, and I've seen him harassing people. I can see Jeff losing his temper and taking it too far. Can you describe him? The murder victim?"

Mahogany glanced at Guy. "White, about six foot, skinny, brown shaggy hair, a few freckles on his nose."

"And he was dating Karrie Samuels?" Tony asked.

Mahogany and Evelina nodded.

Tony whistled through his teeth and sat back in his chair. "I've seen the two of them together. What was his name?"

Guy sat forward and leaned his elbows on the table. "He saw Karrie and me together?"

"Guy, Guy Miller. He was twenty-five. From Columbus, Ohio," Mahogany said.

Evelina glanced at the empty chair at the table and smiled sadly. "If this Magic Mike ordered his last meal from Tipsy's, then one of the Walsh Clan must have seen him. Let's ask." Evelina waved to the server, and he came over. "Hey, Mick. Did you happen to see an older chubby guy with a long white beard in here recently?"

"You just described half of our clientele," Mick said in a lilting Irish accent, one generation removed. It was more of an effect for the tourists but had become a habit. Not many people questioned the accent. It fit right in with his flaming red hair and beard.