chapter 10: golden

"How much did you have to drink last night?" Chris snickered at me.

"What are you talking about?" I ask.

"Wait." He said, coldly. He pulls his phone out and texts someone.

As I continue to stand in the doorway, I feel someone approach me from behind.

"FINALLY. Talk your shit." He says. Nick pushes me into Chris' room and we all sit on the bed. I was too anxious to remind Nick to close the door, so I just let it be.

Chris is the first one to speak.

"We went to Mariah's and you'd been drinking...obviously. I carried you and put you in the van before we all left."

"Ok, ok. Fast forward." Nick says, impatiently.

"Fuck you Nick." Chris looks back at me. "You kept slurring your words in the van, I literally had no clue what you were saying. As soon as we got to the house, you wanted me to carry you and take you inside. I tried taking you to your room but you just kept saying, 'NICK! NICK!' so I just left you in Nick's room."

I literally remembered none of this. "Wait. So where was Nick when I woke up?"

"I was getting breakfast you bitch. GO CHRIS GET THERE FASTER!" Nick snapped.

What was so important?

"Well, I stayed in there with you and Nick. Matt and Alana tried staying there with us too, but you kept pushing them out, so they just went to Matt's."

God. Chris is such a painful storyteller.

"Eventually, Nick went to go take a shower so it was just you and me. Then you kept hugging me and leaning on me and trying to kiss me. You were drunk, so I didn't kiss you back. But you were adorable. Then you whispered in my ear and said-"

"YOU CALLED HIM MATT AND SAID YOU WERE IN LOVE WITH HIM!" Nick yells before covering his mouth with a blanket.

My mouth drops.

Chris hits Nick on the head. "Yeah. You asked if I was Matt and I just wanted to mess with you so I said yes. I don't remember exactly, but you said you could only ever see yourself with him, you said he was everything you wanted, whatever."

I couldn't believe what I was hearing, but only because I've never admitted to myself that I loved Matt. I wasn't planning on denying what Chris told me. Maybe Chris and I had fun, but Matt was always the one.

Despite all my thoughts, the only words I could mutter were, "I said that?"

"You said that?"

A voice speaks from the door.

Matt emerges into the room from the dark hallway into the lit room, and looks just as shocked as me.

I stand up when I see Matt. We're just there staring at each other before Matt leaves and goes to his room.

I look back at Chris and Nick. I didn't want to hurt Chris. Even if he did play me.

"Chris, I-"

"Go." He interrupts me.

So I did.