Chapter 32

Sai and I decided to go on a little trip downtown to get our minds off of boys and other issues. It was truly a girls day out. We stuffed our faces with food I hadn't even tried before and by the end of it, my stomach was so engorged, I felt like everything that I ate would pop out if I didn't lie face down on my bed.

She even started accompanying me on the dog walks whenever she could. "I came to visit you and I don't even have the time to actually see you," was her complaint.

It was kinda true.

She visited Meadow Springs for me and then I barely got to see her. In two months' time, I wouldn't be able to see her for a loooong time. The thought made me frown. At least I could cherish the time I did have with her now.

I knew right now, though, the most important thing for her was to fix her relationship with her dad. Neither of us saw it coming, but if it was happening now, then it would happen now. Family did have its priorities and I would never ask her to drop them for me.

"How about the park?" she suggested later that day. "I brought cards."

"Feeling like a child today?"

"Feeling? I am a child, baby. Through and through."

"And you say I'm cringe." We laughed and bantered all the way to the park, talking about random things. Nearby the park was the oval with a big oak tree where people laid to have picnics or to talk.

Sitting near another tree, half in the shade, half relaxing under the golden warm shimmer brought by the sun were Caden and Leilani, with Chunk resting beside them. Leilani's head was on his shoulder and there was nothing to indicate that he didn't like that. I couldn't help but stare at them. I thought he said he wasn't interested in dating or love. That he was completely unavailable.

"Is that Caden? And that chick you told me about?"

"Leilani," I said. "Let's go back to my place or yours. Move silently, I don't —" Chunk whined and lifted his head up to stare right at us as if he knew I was there.

Please don't move. Please...but of course, dogs can't hear your thoughts. He got up on his legs and raced toward me like I was a long-lost lover that he was reuniting with. Which I guess was kind of accurate since I hadn't seen Chunk in a long time. He panted as he nudged my hand and tried to jump up to lick me. I bent down to his level and scratched his ears, and his chin, kissed his head and rubbed his belly which he rolled over to show us pretty easily.

Feeling like something was off, I lifted my head only to see that both Leilani and Caden were looking my way. Well, I guess that plan of going back silently can be scratched, I thought. I smiled at Leilani who, surprisingly, waved me over.

Sai waited until I stood up to elbow me in the ribs. "Should we pretend we didn't see her wave?" she mumbled.

"She knows I definitely saw her wave."

"Pretend, Shyla."

"That would be rude." I tugged on Sai who was reluctant to move her boots along the ground. "Come on."

We made our way toward the two, with Chunk racing toward Caden even though he had only left him for less than ten seconds. Something tugged deep in my stomach seeing Leilani whisper something to Caden who rolled his eyes. Part of me wondered why he was acting like I didn't exist anymore. Or was it always like that and I just never wanted to admit it to myself?

"I remember you," she said, shielding her light honey eyes from the sun. "You were at the club the other night."

"I'm Shyla," I said, extending my hand. We shook. "It's nice to meet you."