Chapter 40

The ride back home was the same as it was heading there. No one blamed me. Everyone was happy.

I wasn't.

Not only could I not put any pressure on that one foot, but now that I didn't need to worry much about that for a while, I couldn't stop thinking about what Caden did. No, not him helping me or being piggybacked against his broad, muscular back, or his strong arms curled under my legs but of what happened between us before that.

The majority of the ride was spent daydreaming and worrying about what I was going to do. Since it was Leilani's car, after Caden dropped Sai, Leo and Trixie off, the former who insisted she wanted to stay before I told her she should leave, he stopped by our strip of the neighbourhood.

"You might want to take it from here," he said to Leilani who laughed. Paris helped me out of the car, and I limped to the pavement.

"Look after that foot for me, okay?" called Leilani, winking at me.

"Thank you for inviting me," I said, "but I'm sorry it didn't go the way you wanted to. I mean, you even got that bruise because of me."

"It's no big deal, seriously. Look after yourself and I'll try to make sure I don't go around getting hit by volleyballs."

After she left, Paris helped me to my front gate when Caden stopped her. "It's all right, I'll help her."

"Are you sure?" she asked.

I shook my head. "I-I want you to come with me." She looked torn between listening to me and listening to Caden.

"Do you need two people to walk with you?" asked Caden flatly.

If that's the case, I want Paris to take me home, I thought. I only sighed, relenting. Whatever. It didn't matter. Once he dropped me off to the door, he'd leave.

Paris headed over to her house and Caden guided me gently up to the front steps. I didn't bother speaking to him, even if the thank you was on the tip of my tongue. No, I told myself. Don't give in.

When the door opened, my mom's beaming face dwindled seeing the bandage on my foot. "Oh my god," she exclaimed, blinking rapidly, "what happened?"

"She cut her foot on a shard of glass," answered Caden smoothly. "We got it checked out at the hospital. All she's gotta do is take a course of antibiotics for a week."

Mom blanched, looking like she was going to faint. "Thank you so much for helping out, Caden," she croaked, sniffling. "I am very grateful for everything you've done for my daughter. Please, stay."

My eyes widened. What was mom doing? Everything he'd done? What did he do besides this? Caden didn't hesitate to decline, "Thanks, but I've gotta check on my dog—"

"Your dog is invited, too. We're having a little get together tonight with some of my friends from church. It'll be fun. Tell him, Shyla."

Great. How could I tell him to leave when my mom was watching? "Yeah," I said through clamped teeth, "you should stay."

He watched me, making a low hmm in his throat. "Guess it can't be helped then."

Yeah, guess it can't be helped.

"Go get dressed, then, honey." My mom helped me to my room after Caden left to get Chunk. My dad and mom didn't mind dogs—they had pets when they were kids—but they never let Saria or me have a pet of our own. I used to think it was because they were hypocrites, but Saria was always scared of pets.

My mom's back was as stiff as a board as she placed a gentle hand on my elbow. I felt a lecture coming. Not that I minded. I was in need of some advice.